1981-12-31
Oakland Auditorium Arena
Oakland, CA
Soundboard Recording
192 kbps (vbr)
Artwork Below
Acoustic Set
01. Me and Bobby McGee*
02. Bye Bye Love*
03. Lucifer's Eyes*
04. Children of the 80's*
05. Banks of the Ohio*
* With Joan Baez
Electric Set 1
01. Shakedown Street
02. Me And My Uncle
03. Mexicali Blues
04. Cold Rain And Snow
05. CC Rider
06. It Must Have Been The Roses
07. Beat It On Down The Line
08. Big Boss Man
09. New Minglewood Blues
10. Don't Ease Me In
Electric Set 2
01. New Years Festivities
02. Aiko Aiko
03. Playin' In The Band
04. Terrapin Station
05. Playin' In The Band
06. Drums
07. Space
08. Post Space Guitar
09. The Other One
10. Not Fade Away
11. Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad
12. Morning Dew
Electric Set 3/Encore
01. Dark Star
02. Bertha
03. Good Lovin'
04. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Grateful Dead - 1981-12-31 - Oakland Auditorium (SBD)
Happy New Year! We ring in the year 2010 with none other than the Grateful Dead, a fitting selection since the band played almost every New Year's Eve from 1966 to 1991! Often those shows were broadcast on the radio nationwide! The first New Year's show I ever listened to, on WNEW-FM, of course, was 1978, the closing of Winterland in San Francisco, an amazing concert that has been released on both CD and DVD. Since I can't post that one, I selected this gem from 1981. The Dead play an acoustic set with Joan Baez, then follow with 3 electric sets -- almost 4 hours of music in all! Given that electric set 2 didn't start until midnight (a Dead tradition), folks didn't go home until the sun was beginning to rise on 1982. I can't think of a better way for this blog to start this new year! Be back posting on January 4, 2010 after taking a little break for the holiday weekend!



17 comments:
Thanks for this Speedy. I've never heard even one song from this show. I just downloaded it ,and it will take a while to digest this show. Thanks again.
Enjoy Jordan. Any Dead questions, ask away. Saw them well over 50 times. This post is as good as it gets!
Wow! This one is very fine so far. I'm at the end of disc 2 right now. The end of "Playing..." is intense. This is one of the best New Year's shows I've heard. What would be your favorite New Year's show?
Sadly,I saw them only 5 times. (Even worse,my last one was Highgate 1995.) But I managed to see a couple great ones. (9-29-93 and 10-1-94 come to mind.) Thankfully I have those shows.
Did you see the JGB at MSG in 1993? I was also at that one. (In the nosebleeds.)
Glad you enjoyed! This show, 1978, and 1987 are my favorite New Years shows. Did not see JGB in 1993, but caught him in 1991 at MSG. That was an excellent show.
I highly recommend all the Spring 1977 shows as well as 9-18-1987, all posted on this blog.
check the My Concerts page for all the shows I've seen!
Well,I listened to the whole show,and it's a brain-crusher. The band was really energetic & focused that night. I wish I had been there,but I was only 8 years old.
Hey speedy. This was my first new years show. I went without tickets and got mine and five others from Dead heads at face value. I entered the building around 6:00 in the evening and left the building around 6:00 in the morning. They gave us breakfast after the show (a sack with fruit and danish). Saw my first Dark Star that night. There were also opening acts. Arizona Jones
Thanks for the many great Dead posts
Hi-
Discovered your site after Quality Bootz shut dpwn. Just started working my way through the archives. I appreciate the stories and artwork and the fact that so many different locker sites that I can do a few at a time.
I was hoping to grab this one for the Joan Baez especially. My first Dead show Stephen Stills came out for three songs and I thought that happened every night. And it did a few more times over the course of the 80+ shows I made it to from 1983-1993. Guests always made for even more variety than they were already capable of -- I seem to remember getting nearly 100 unique songs and only maybe 20+ repeats during a seven night run at Madison Square Garden culminating in a tie-dyed number installed in the rafters along with the jerseys (I believe it was 25 for the then record number of shows - I was at 11 of the 25). They played there some more so that number went up and I saw them the last night before going to Europe ending with a US Blues (of course) and I think Bruce and/or Billy Joel broke that record an got a similar honor.
Anyway -- I am happy to say that the file is still there but the Rapid Share permissions were not turned on after they changed their policy a couple of months ago.
So in closing ... (Clinton reference)
Thanks -- Cheers and here's to more boots.
Any Alicia Keys would be appreciated as well.
Thanks for the kind words. I put up new links. Enjoy and come back in may - we'll have plenty of Grateful Dead!
Hey Now-
Thanks for the re-post -- damn that was quick.
And so is Send Space; I guess I see why you re-upped there instead of changing the setting on RapidShare back to "Open to The Public" after they made "Open to Owner ONLY" the default back in February. I don't know if they notified Owners -- I had to read the news on their site to figure out what was going on. More major changes followed but they are running pretty quick now.
I will definitely be here for the next posts as this site has become a daily obsession.
"Who are the Grateful Dead? And why did they keep following me?"
Nuthin' like a Dead show.
(No longer anonymous) The Brooklyn Kid in Exile in Binghamton
Sir
The two download links to this show are inoperative; do you think you could restore them, please? Thank you.
A.Ashokan 3rd January 2014
India
New links are up! Enjoy!
Could you repost please? At your convenience of course...
I know that I am a pain, but I am looking for this show, 6-3-76/Portland, and 3-28-81/Essen. Thanks and appreciation.
New links are up for Grateful Dead;
1981-03-28
1981-12-31
1976-06-03
1985-07-13
Enjoy!
This one looks great but the electric sets link seems to be dead. Any chance you could re up the link when you've got the chance? Thank you very much!
PS this is a wonderful site you're running!
New link contains both the acoustic and electric sets. Enjoy!
Post a Comment