Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Bongos - 1983-10-04 -New Haven, CT (VG Aud)

The Bongos
1983-10-04
Toad's Place
New Haven, CT
Good Audience Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Telephoto Lens
02. Tiger Nights
03. Glow In The Dark
04. The Bulrushes
05. Automatic Doors
06. Roman Circus
07. Burning Bush
08. Numbers With Wings
09. Three Wise Men
10. Sweet Blue Cage
11. Barbarella
12. Certain Harbours
13. In The Congo
14. Question Ball
15. My Sin
16. Mambo Sun
17. Encore Break
18. Barbarella
19. Zebra Club


In the early 1980s, punk and new wave music started to move more into the mainstream, as evidenced locally by the fact that classic rock station WNEW-FM began to play those genres. As a result I found myself listening to and enjoying a host of new artists, which in turn led me to buy tickets to concerts by those bands. Between 1980 and 1983, I attended shows by The Clash, The Pretenders, Joan Jett, Joe Jackson, The Police, The Go Gos, Pat Benatar and The Ramones, just to name a few. I also got to see a local band, from nearby Hoboken NJ, called the Bongos, on December 31, 1982 at the Mudd Club in New York, a dive bar turned into a new wave club. The Bongos had released an album entitled Drums Along The Hudson, which featured a host of tunes, such as Bulrushes, Zebra Club and In The Congo, that blended guitar driven pop witha dance beat. It became one of those discs that went on my turntable and never came off. While I'm fairly certain no tape exists of the New Year's Eve show I attended (no one could have been sober enough to make a recording!!), I did find this pretty good audience recording broadcast from Toad’s Place in New Haven from October 4, 1983, 32 years ago today. It’s not up to our normal sound quality, but Bongo’s tapes are few and far between, so I thought I’d post it as part of our celebration of the 1980s this month.



3 comments:

Boorad3000 said...

Hi I have been a fan of the Bongos since their first single and have followed the band and Richard Barone since. I have never seen these two concerts before and I am hoping you can reup the links for the two shows. It would be very much appreciated! Just discovered your blog and it looks great - I look forward to exploring it. Thanks for any help you can give.

speedymjb said...

New link is up on both Bongos shows - enjoy

Boorad3000 said...

Good morning Just wanted to thank you for the Bongos re-uploads. Drove me back to looking for Bongos stuff and thought you might be interested that they did a live stream reunion in February. Link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVW367Bpgjk Thanks again.

Post a Comment