Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

John Lennon - Imagine

December 8, 1980 - it's hard to believe it was 30 years ago today that John Lennon was taken from us. I'll never forget how I heard the news. I was a senior at Princeton, working for the school newspaper. We were up late, putting the finishing touches on our semi-annual Arts & Entertainment issue. The lead story was a review of Lennon's Double Fantasy, his first album in over 5 years. We were just about to go to press when over the AP news wire came a special report -- John Lennon had been shot and killed. The world mourned John Lennon, and so did we, though we were able to work through our grief by turning our special issue into a celebration of his life. Tale a minute today to remember John. All we are saying is give peace a chance!

5 comments:

dwight schrutte said...

thanks
I was listening to Felix Grant who had a Jazz show on WMAL AM radio that was often better than any other station at the time - even though back then DC had several great radio stations (unlike today). He was playing the new Nighthawks album ( A DC based blues band) in it's entirety when he broke in with the news.

jordan said...

I was only 7 years old when it happened,but I remember it. I knew who the Beatles & Lennon were,but not as much as I do now.
It's just a sad story......

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your blog immensely, and appreciate the rememberance of lennon. thanks for all your efforts!

Anonymous said...

How ironic, a man who preached love and compassion his entire life dies such a violent death.

Never forget John by loving your fellow human beings !

Scooter said...

I've loved the Beatles since I was 4 years old and would pretend to be Ringo Starr playing the drums. I still play the drums still love the Beatles and still miss John Lennon and George Harrison.

Post a Comment