Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 15, 2013

Bob Dylan - 1978-03-15 - Brisbane, Australia (SBD)

Bob Dylan
1978-03-15
Festival Hall
Brisbane, Australia
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

CD 1:
01. Love Her With A Feeling
02. Mr. Tambourine Man
03. I Threw It All Away
04. Shelter From The Storm
05. Love Minus Zero - No Limit
06. Girl From The North Country
07. Ballad Of A Thin Man
08. Maggie's Farm
09. To Ramona

CD 2:
01. Oh, Sister
02. Simple Twist Of Fate
03. All Along The Watchtower
04. The Man In Me
05. All I Really Want To Do
06. intro
07. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
08. Forever Young
09. The Times They Are A-Changin'
10. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Bob Dylan - 1978-03-15 - Brisbane, Australia (SBD)

On February 20, 1978, Bob Dylan launched his first world tour since the 1960s, with a series of shows in Japan. Dylan has not performed live since spring 1976 when the 2nd leg of The Rolling Thunder Revue Tour ended. During the year long run, Dylan would perform 114 shows in Japan, the Far East, Europe and the US, for a total audience of over two million people. He was accompanied by an eight piece band, as well as 3 back up singers. Unfortunately, reviews for Dylan's concerts were less than stellar. For example, when he brought the the tour to the United States in September 1978, he press described the look and sound of the shows as a "Las Vegas style lounge act".  The tour also became infamous for the associated live release, Bob Dylan at Budokan, which became the first in seemingly endless series of often mocked and parodied "live at Budokan" concert albums that seemed to emerge from the the late 1970s. Perhaps the less than stellar reviews had their impact on Dylan, as soon after this tour he became a born again Christian. In any event, this soundboard recording captures Dylan early on during the tour on March 15, 1978, 35 years ago today, in Australia.  Download this one and decide for yourself whether this tour was Dylan reinventing himself, or simply a chance to collect a paycheck to cover the costs of his recent divorce.

8 comments:

Gummo said...

Thanks, Speedy!

I have a real love-hate relationship with this period of Dylan's work ... but frankly, mostly hate.

I saw him at the Garden in the fall of '78 and it was such a weird experience. Dylan all duded up and talking phony patter like, yes, a Vegas lounge act. And it was so inconsistent -- one minute he'd take your breath away with a brilliant reinvention of a classic tune, the next you'd be cringing in embarrassment over some ill-thought-out overworked desecration of a beloved song.

I dragged a buddy along who was a lifelong Dylan fan but had never seen him live and to say he was appalled was putting it mildly. "Stricken" would be a better word. I don't think he made any effort to see Dylan live again until I dragged him to a 1994 show at Roseland in NYC, which was, of course, fantastic.

Well, that's Bob, you never know what you're going to get. I saw him at the Barclay's Center this past fall and it was the best show of his I've seen in 10 years.

Thanks for all you do!

speedymjb said...

Thanks Gummo for adding your perspective on this one! Great stuff! Bythe way - I have 2 Roseland shows posted here: http://so-many-roads-boots.blogspot.com/2012/10/bob-dylan-1994-10-19-10-20-new-york-sbd.html

rintesh said...

Thanks for the upload.

Anonymous said...

Top!
Thank you very much.

Marcus said...

love the 1978 shows ... especially later in the tour, as the vocals get more and more desperate

Unknown said...

Requesting a re-up on the '78 Bob, Captain Speedy! I'm interested in seeing what this is like. I have the Budokan official release (which I hated when I first heard in high school but kinda like now) and a ton of shows from the summer and especially the fall (which are awesome) -- but I haven't heard anything from this leg of the tour yet. Anyways, thanks in advance. And thanks again for all you do! Am digging the Zevon 1990 Minneapolis right this minute. First time I've heard this particular Zevon band.

speedymjb said...

New link is up! enjoy!

Unknown said...

Many, many thanks! Looking forward to this one. Something about '78 Live really struck a chord with me in the past year. I discovered Bob in 1998, when I was about 15, and since then my exploration of his music hasn't followed anything approaching the chronology of his life. It was only recently when I got to Street Legal/the 1978 World Tour, and in a way I'm glad I avoided it this long, because now I have all this great new (to me) music to boogie down to. And I mean boogie down! I've never once danced at any kind of public event -- but I believe I would have shook it down with the best of them if I could've made it to one of these 1978 shows. They're just such fun shows. Even with the mixed critical reaction, you get the idea that the audiences really had fun at these shows. And that's all that really matters, I reckon. The handful of folks I know who actually attended some of these shows all speak of them as a high point. I know not everything comes thru on tape, but I think I can see why. Anyways! Thanks again for the new link. I appreciate what you do!

Post a Comment