Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 26, 2018

Rachel Sweet - 1980-03-26 - Cleveland, OH (FM)

Rachel Sweet
1980-03-26
Coffee Break Concert
Agora Ballroom
Cleveland, Ohio
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Truckstop Queen
02. Foul Play
03. Jealous
04. Night On Fire
05. Interview 1
06. Who Does Lisa Like?
07. Spellbound
08. Lover's Lane
09. Interview 2
10. Tonight
11. Cuckoo Clock
12. New Rose
13. Interview 3
14. Take Good Care Of Me
15. B-A-B-Y
16. Fool's Gold
17. Tonight Ricky
18. I've Got A Reason


Another guilty pleasure this month at So Many Roads. When the then 18 year old Rachel Sweet released her album Fool Around in late 1978, it became a staple on the turntable (yes - it's that old!) in my college dorm room. Part new wave, part early 60's girl group in sound, the album featured songs such a B-A-B-Y, Wildwood Saloon, I Go to Pieces and Sad Song. In the summer of 1979, I got to see Rachel in Central Park as the lead in for Eddie Money. Then, in early 1980, tickets went on sale for Jerry Garcia at the Capitol Theatre, with Rachel Sweet as his lead-in. While my roomies weren't huge Garcia fans, they all agreed we should get tickets so we could see Rachel. And, so I did! The show was scheduled for March 1, 1980. A week before the concert, however, came the announcement that Robert Hunter had replaced Rachel Sweet as the lead-in. No explanation was provided, but I'm guessing there was concern that the Dead Head audience may not have appreciated Ms. Sweet. In any event, while I didn’t get to see Rachel that spring, plenty of other folk did. This FM Broadcast captures Rachel at the Agora in Cleveland on March 26, 1980, 38 years ago today.




2 comments:

Days of the Broken Arrows said...

Bizarre story. Wonder if Sweet opening for Garcia was a mistake all along. Nice to hear this anyway.

Fun point of trivia: Sweet was featured in one of the most famous "Seinfeld" episodes, "The Contest." She plays George's cousin in a scene where he's visiting his mother in the hospital.

speedymjb said...

It's quite the strange story - I have the ticket stub that shows Rachel Sweet as the lead in so it wasn't a mistake but clearly something happened along the way.

In any event, thanks for the tidbit about Rachel appearing on Seinfeld! I didn't know that!

Post a Comment