Stephen Stills
& the California Blues Band
1979-03-03
Karl Marx Theater
Havana, Cuba
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Introduction
02. For What It's Worth
03. Jet Set (Sigh)
04. Turn Back the Pages
05. Love the One You're With
06. Cuba Al Fin (fades out)
& the California Blues Band
1979-03-03
Karl Marx Theater
Havana, Cuba
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Introduction
02. For What It's Worth
03. Jet Set (Sigh)
04. Turn Back the Pages
05. Love the One You're With
06. Cuba Al Fin (fades out)
In 1979, after two decades, the U.S. ban on travel to and from Cuba was lifted, creating new diplomatic and cultural exchange opportunities. Sensing the time was right, CBS Records, in conjunction with the U.S. State Department, staged an international coup by organizing an unprecedented three-night series of concerts in the Cuban capital of Havana. Dubbed "Havana Jam," this historic cultural exchange took place on March 2, 3 and 4, 1979 at the 4800-seat Karl Marx Theater and marked the first time American musicians had performed in Cuba since the Castro regime gained power two decades prior. The King Biscuit Flower Hour accompanied a plane full of Columbia Records artists as they participated in this first comprehensive music festival held in Cuba, which featured an all-star cast of musicians from a wide range of musical genres. In addition to Cuban artists, performers included Weather Report (with Jaco Pastorius); Stephen Stills (who had been experimenting with Latin music his entire career); Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge; John McLaughlin (famed Mahavishnu Orchestra guitarist) performing a one-off trio gig with Tony Williams and Jaco Pastorius; the CBS Records Jazz Allstars, which featured a wealth of jazz greats including the Heath Brothers, Stan Getz, and Dexter Gordon, in addition to the final night headliner Billy Joel. Unfortunately Joel's set at Havana Jam was neither recorded nor videotaped. This FM broadcast captures Stephen Stills at Havana Jam on March 3, 1979, 41 years ago today. The travel ban was reimposed 2 years later, and rock musicians would not play Cuba again until the Rolling Stones' historic show on March 25, 2016.



7 comments:
This was quite special. Is more of this show available?
Posted everything I have - wish there was more but if there is, I don't have it
Thanks very much for this Stills ( partial ) set. I just discovered your site from a link over at BB Chronicles. Man, you have a TON of great shows. I hope to be able to download some more. Thanks again, Mike
As risk of starting an argument, the guys at soundaboard who posted this set without any acknowledgement of your artwork etc someone in the comments has posted a link to a file for a bigger set some nine numbers as pholkiephred asked) now this is where it gets complicated. Your version has two extra that they don’t! ‘Intro' and ‘Turn Back The Pages’ thus making 11 tracks in all (their post has four that your version doesn’t feature! I may post an update explaining and sharing all the links with the acknowledgement that yours is really the definitive one! Does that make sense? bests as always Andy
I'm not looking for any credit or to start argument. If someone re-uses my artwork, I really don't care. We're all just sharing a bunch of music we find on the web. Can't say that mine is the definitive copy - its what I found. That said, this is the set list from that show per setlist.fm - looks like I have 4 of the 8 songs https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stephen-stills/1979/teatro-karl-marx-la-habana-cuba-bcfd9ce.html
Top man you are Speedy! I have posted the lot on my pages hopefully to clarify and make all available to all! Bestests to you as ever
All good my friend! Thanks!
Post a Comment