Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
1970-06-06
Fillmore East
New York, New York
Soundboard Recording
192 kbps
Artwork Included
CD1:
01. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
02. Blackbird
03. On The Way Home
04. Teach Your Children
05. Tell Me Why
06. Triad
07. Guinnevere
08. Simple Man
CD2:
01. King Midas In Reverse
02. The Loner > Cinnamon Girl > Down By The River
03. Black Queen
04. 4 + 20
05. 49 Bye-Byes > America's Children
06. Love The One You're With (incomplete - fades out)
CD3:
01. Pre-Road Downs
02. Long Time Gone
03. Helplessly Hoping
04. Ohio
05. As I Come Of Age
06. Southern Man
07. Carry On
08. Woodstock
09. Find The Cost Of Freedom
CSNY 1970 - Back To Back - #3: Here's the 3rd of our 4 shows featuring CSNY at the Fillmore East. In June 1970, CSNY released their protest anthem, Ohio, which responded to the tragedy of the shootings at Kent State by the National Guard, which killed 4 students. Recorded on May 15, 11 days after the shootings and released just a few weeks later, Ohio features some of Neil Young's most biting lyrics, especially the line "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming", which laid the tragedy at the feet of the President. The song initiated the band's public opposition to Nixon Administration and the war in Viet Nam, a campaign that would continue until his resignation in 1974 (but that's a story for another post). At almost that exact same moment in time, CSNY arrived in New York for 6 shows at the legendary Fillmore East, from June 2 to June 7. Those shows included some of the first live versions of Ohio! This soundboard, from June 6, 1970, 5 decades ago today, features the complete acoustic and electric sets, from the penultimate night of the Fillmore run. The show clearly captures the mood of the times, where rock and roll played a prominent part in the protest movements against "the establishment". If you were part of that tumultuous period in US history, then this one is a must have. Download this one, then come back tomorrow for our final post from this run.




20 comments:
Thanks for posting. This tremendous set captures CSNY at an early peak.
Thanks for posting this - I'm not a *huge* fan, but hey, ya gotta keep the wife happy, right?
cheers,
steve
Yep - you gotta keep the wife happy! All of us married guys understand that!
Can you re-up this? I can't find it at any of the server sites...
thanks so much!
I was 17 at the time of these shows and living in Queens and I wasn't able to get tix!! OOOOOHHHHHHHH, BOY! Did I miss something!!!
Thanks, beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff, AZ
NEW LINK IS UP!
Thank you! I just saw this and I am looking forward to hearing it, for sure!!!
beautyanddabeast
And this Sendspace is a pretty nice site! Very nice downloading speed!!
beautyanddabeast
thanks a lot
new link is up!
Thanks! You saved me a re-up request on this one.
I just finished reading every single post on your site this past weekend. Normally I would have just hit and run but I dig the environment and especially the fact that it covers the same time/space that I was an NYC Concert Rat.
You are awesome and have really knocked a whole bunch of memories loose.
I am looking forward to the 10th -- realizing that it was 1986 and not 1987 after I left a post for a Van Morrison show from the same tour, I should have said that I could have sold you a Dove Bar since I did the beer the second year I worked there. But that might not be true either since there was competition amongst the rest of the garage to work the shows - it was a perk after on top of our regular 60 hour week pushing a cart from Hell's Kitchen to Rockefeller Center or even Greenwich Village. I think I just pretended to work that one so I could watch and tape the show.
I got a couple of more observations that I'll save for the re-up request that I never got around to this weekend.
Thank you and Keep On Keepin' On
Michael
The Brooklyn Kid In Exile In Binghamton
New links are up for all 4 CSNY shows from the Fillmore in 1970 - enjoy!
New links are up for all 4 CSNY shows from the Fillmore in 1970 - enjoy!
Outstanding post!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the 4 Fillmore Shows!!!!!!!
Wonderful set of posts! Thank you! But a minor correction ... the live debut of "Ohio" was not at the Fillmore in June. CSNY played "Ohio" at the Boston Garden on May 29, 1970 (I was there). I don't know whether they played it live before the 29th.
Again ... thanks for the great shows you've posted ... and your comments are great as well!
Alan
Alan - 1) thanks foir the kind words 2) incredible you saw CSNY in 1970! 3) i corrected my post to read "some of the earliest versions of Ohio" based on your incredible feedback! Stay safe my friend!
Hi thanks for the great links, the link for the 06-06 has expired, possible to reload thank you
new link is up - enjoy!
Re-up? dead link tia! :)
Re-up? dead link tia! :)
New limk is up - enjoy
Post a Comment