Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bob Weir & Ratdog - 1995-08-09 - Hampton Beach, NH (SBD)

Bob Weir & Ratdog
1995-08-09
A Tribute to Jerry Garcia
Hampton Beach Casino
Hampton Beach, NH
Soundboard Recording
192 kbps (vbr)
Artwork Included

CD 1:
01. Tuning
02. Weir intro
03. Bombs Away >
04. Walkin' Blues
05. City Girls
06. Fever >
07. Eternity
08. Youngblood
09. Blackbird
10. K.C. Moan
11. Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl
12. The Winners >
13. This Time Forever >
14. Shade of Gray >
15. Heaven Help the Fool >
16. Drums

CD 2:
01. Bass Solo (Amasing Grace)
02. Easy Answers >
03. Throwing Stones

Encore:
04. Every Little Light
05. Knockin' on Heavens Door


Ratdog 1995 #2: Twenty years ago today, on August 9, 1995, Jerry Garcia's long strange trip came to an end as he passed away in his sleep, succumbing to heart failure brought on by years of drug abuse. Ironically, he died at Serenity Knolls, a California treatment center for the very demons that finally ended his life. His brother in music, Bob Weir, who had played side by side with Garcia for some 30 years as part of the Grateful Dead, had a concert scheduled for that night in Hampton Beach, NH, on the other side of the continent. Weir would have been forgiven if he had cancelled the show and flew back to the Bay Area upon hearing the news. Instead, he courageously took the stage to pay tribute to Jerry the only way he knew how. As he said at the outset of the show, "Well, if there's anything our friend taught is, it's that music can be used to ease us through the sad times." Despite personal pain and loss, Weir delivered a stunning set of music, adjusting lyrics as he went along, in homage to his lost companion. For example, during Throwing Stones, he chanted "Papa's gone, we are on our own!" Bassist Rob Wasserman turned his solo into a moving rendition of Amazing Grace, which he dedicated to Garcia. The night ended the only way it could have, with Weir singing the sadly appropriate Knockin' on Heaven's Door, a song normally performed by Jerry to close Dead shows. As Weir left the stage, the crowd erupted in cries of "Jerry, Jerry", followed by the "Not Fade Away" chant ("you know our love will not fade away"), that for every Deadhead was a symbol of their love for the band and its music. Those of use who loved the Dead still miss Jerry. Our love will not fade away. Bob did his lifelong friend, and himself, proud that August 9 night. Download this soundboard from that show, listen closely, mourn a little, and then celebrate the music and life of Jerry Garcia.



24 comments:

zep said...

great stuff!

VLB said...

Hi. I have a much better version of Police Stockholm 83. Check these images:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5457/policestockholmbetter.jpg

Old version:
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7626/policestockholmmp4.jpg

The files online now was posted 01/2008.. Are mp4 128 kbps. LOL :)

I will post an upgrade tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Nice Stuff far Out.Cheers dead-head-udo

Timmy said...

Been trying to get a decent version of this for a while. Thanx!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the up, a sad and memorable day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Speedy-

I'm actually asking for a repost in the correct place. Could ya, Would ya please repost this one? Thanks.

I only saw Ratdog once when they came to campus for the Annual Summer Concert Series at the Anderson Center - the rear wall folds back at least doubles capacity on the sloped lawn. I usually just sit outside and listen since it was built in a cluster of buildings that keep the sound in nicely. But, for this one I actually got a ticket.
My friend went earlier in the day and interviewed Bobby and Mickey (Mystery Box was also on the bill) on video for his own collection -- I suppose I should get him to put it up on YouTube
Mystery Box came back to the area once more and I caught that one in a large bar / club but I was sick the day the remaining members of the Dead came to the Broome County Arena where the Dead played twice before I moved up here for college 28 years ago.
Years earlier than those three post-Dead efforts and closer to when Jerry died, Vince Welnick played West Side Cheers Pub where my friend's (and at times roommate's) band Yolk played when they came back home to town about once a month.
Merl Saunders also played a few times in the early 90s.
Binghamton has always had a large and loyal Deadhead community and many stories about Watkins Glen, Barton Hall and Harpur College (now incorporated into Binghamton University on the same campus and the same gym still there as a secondary facility - in case anyone is sightseeing Dick's Pick's venues).

So after all of that babbling, I feel like I should add a request (in the wrong place, of course) for the relatively local show: Robert Hunter - 1978-07-15 - Greenwood Lake, NY (SBD), who I've never seen. I've been meaning to ask for a while but I usually like to leave a story when I do and I figured this could cover both.

Thanks for everything you do,
The Brooklyn Kid In Exile In Binghamton

speedymjb said...

Always enjoy the stories and always glad to repost shows - both this one and the Robert Hunter from 1978-07-15 are now up!

rintesh said...

Thanks for this gem, Speedy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Speedy!

This is a very well written description for the event.

You have such an awesome knowledge base and a fabulous writing skill.

Timmy said...

How about some JERRY?

Unknown said...

Thanks for another great one, Speedy. For the music as well as the notes. This makes me want to finally dig into some live Dead -- something I'm almost totally ignorant of, except for (as a Dylan fanatic) the Dylan and The Dead period. I have most of the GD studio albums, but I want to get to know the live stuff. There's so much of it out there that I just don't know where to start. Are there a couple of shows (or eras) you'd point a live Dead novice toward as a place to start? Thanks in advance -- and for the many hours of fine music you've contributed to my collection!

speedymjb said...

Timmy - No Jerry today but come back on the 16th and 22nd for some!

speedymjb said...

Booby Smith - Glad you want to check out some Live Dead. i always point folks in 2 directions to start: any show from 1977 and any show from 1987.

for me, 1977 is peak Grateful dead. Every note is perfect and you see that band at its finest, with wonderful songs in set 1 and impressive continuous jams in set 2. If you like 1977, then I'd move on to 1973 and 1974.

While 1987 isn't he band's best playing as Jerry had just recovered from a near fatal diabetic coma, there's a joy to all the shows 0 we were so happy he was alive!!!! - that makes everyone seem like a party. From 1987, you can then check out 1989 and 1990 to see the band again hitting on all cylinders.

of course, if you want to hear the band in its original form, with Pigpen doing his blues thing backed by a a psychedelic whilr wind, check out 1970, 1971 and 1972.

One other thought - check out my list of favorite Dead shows in last month's What A Long Strange Trip Its been column. Many are posted on this blog.

Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the roadmap, Speedy! My Dylan library is pretty well bursting at the seams now, and I'm about to branch out into the land of the Dead. I appreciate the pointers, and you taking the time to explain the different eras. And thanks as always foe the great music. Best!

speedymjb said...

Enjoy the tunz and as Jerry once sang - if you get confused, just listen to the music play!

Anonymous said...

Any chance this one could be re-upped?

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy!

rkg said...

link Dead (no pun) any chance of re-up -- cheers for this and all others

speedymjb said...

NEW LINK IS UP - ENJOY

Anonymous said...

Hello speedy, could you please re-upload this concert? Many thanks in advance.

speedymjb said...

New link is up - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

please, can you re-re-upload this concert?
thanks anyway

speedymjb said...

New link is up - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

grazie molte

Post a Comment