Los Lobos
1997-08-24
Goose Island Festival
Goose Island Brewery
Chicago, IL
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. WXRT DJ intro >
02. I Got to Let You Know >
03. Ay Te Dejo en San Antonio
04. Maricela
05. Revolution
06. Colossal Head
07. That Train Don't Stop Here Anymore
08. Everybody Loves A Train
09. Angel Dance
10. I'm Tore Down
11. I Walk Alone
12. Kiko And The Lavender Moon
13. Soy Mexico Americano
14. Los Ojos de Pancha
15. Estoy Sentado Aqui
16. Georgia Slop
17. Don't Worry Baby (w/ band intros)
18. crowd
Encores:
19. encore break
20. Anselma
21. Volver, Volver
22. She's About a Mover
23. Bertha
Jerry Garcia was a huge fan of Los Lobos - in fact, a tape circulates of Jerry and Bob Weir playing with them in the parking lot before a show on July 2, 1989 in Foxboro. You can find video of that that impromptu performance here.
Los Lobos served as the lead in band for the Grateful Dead for several shows in both 1988 and 1989, including the July 9 and 10, 1989 shows at Giants stadium that I attended.
They appeared on the 1991 album Deadicated, performing a cover of the Garcia/Hunter tune, Bertha. That tune, as well as West LA Fade Away became staples of Los Lobo’s concert set lists. Los Lobos also frequently played La Bamba > Good Lovin' > La Bamba, with the middle of that sandwich being a tune the Dead frequently covered. At the legendary September 18, 1987 concert, I saw the Dead play the inverse of the combo, Good Lovin' > La Bamba > Good Lovin, with Garcia on vocals on the Ritchie Valens classic. I've always suspected that song choice was influenced by Jerry's admiration for Los Lobos!
This soundboard recording captures Los Lobos on August 24, 1997, 28 years ago today, in Chicago. Given our theme this month, its only fitting they end the concert with Bertha!

.jpg)

0 comments:
Post a Comment