Marshall Tucker Band
1977-09-12
Central Park
New York, NY
FM Broadcast
192 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Hillbilly Band
02. Blue Ridge Mountain Sky
03. Long Hard Ride
04. Searchin' For A Rainbow
05. Can't You See
06. Fire On The Mountain
The Grateful Dead’s September 3, 1977 show at Englishtown is the stuff of legends, and it has been preserved for all time on Dick’s Picks 15. I was among the 150,000 in attendance that day, making up part of the largest crowd to ever attend a concert in NJ. It was my first Dead show, and will always rank among my favorite concerts. That said, before the Dead even hit the stage, the crowd was treated to some wonderful musical moments courtesy of the Marshall Tucker Band. The MTB, along with the New Riders of The Purple Sage, were the lead-in bands that day, keeping us all entertained and energized as we awaited the main event. Among all the songs played by the 3 bands that day, one of the finest was the MTB’s rendition of Can’t You See. As that song built to a momentous finish, the entire crowd was on its feet cheering. How good was it? Well, the next day, I went album shopping, and in addition to several GD discs, I purchased a copy of MTB’s self titled debut album just to make sure I owned a copy of Can’t You See. While I’ve never come across a recording of the MTB set at Englishtown, I do have this FM broadcast from just 9 days later, on September 12, 1977, 41 years ago today. It’s a short set, but it includes the aforementioned Can’t You See, making it well worth the download.



6 comments:
Awesome! I love the MTB - thanks for this and all the great music you share!
- Frank
I too was at Raaaaaceway Park, Englishtown NJ. MTB did have a solid fan base . The recording that is in circulation of MTB that is an above average Recording.They played their southern tails off for about an hour. Thanks for this one, I loved this band during this era.
Thanks for the MTB. My first concert was seeing them at Nassau Mausoleum the year before opening for the ABB.
I saw them only once. At Tampa Stadium back in 1975. Third on the bill with The Outlaws, The Baker-Guritz Army and The Doobies (the headliners). They were the “mystery guest” not listed on the ticket. And let me tell you… the MTB stole the show! The came back for three encores until finally with a chuckle, Tommy Caldwell said that they had to go cause the Doobies were waiting to come one. We love those guys and they loved us back!
Would love to hear this one if you could repost. Thank you so very much.
new link is up! enjoy!
Post a Comment