Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Rachel Sweet - 1980-04-08 - San Francisco, CA (FM)

Rachel Sweet
1980-04-08
Old Waldorf
San Francisco, CA
KSAN-FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01.  Truck Stop Queen   
02.  Foul Play
03.  Jealous
04.  Who Does Lisa Like?   
05.  Spellbound   
06.  Take Care Of Me
07.  Fool's Gold
08.  Wildwood Saloon
09.  Lover's Lane
10.  Tonight
11.  Cuckoo Clock
12.  New Rose
13.  Tonight Ricky
14.  I've Got A Reason
15.  B-A-B-Y
16.  I Wanna Play House
17.  The Boys On 7th Avenue
18.  KSAN-FM outro


Rachel Sweet 1980 - Same Tour, Different Show Double Play - #1: As the decade of the 1970s came to a close, punk and new wave music, which had been the province of underground and college radio stations, began to make its way onto more mainstream stations such as WNEW-FM in New York. The first time I heard the then 18 year old Rachel Sweet on WNEW, I had to run out and buy her debut album, Fool Around. The disc became a staple on the turntable (yes - it's that old!)in my college dorm room. Part new wave, part early 60's girl group in sound, the album featured songs such a B-A-B-Y, Wildwood Saloon, I Go to Pieces and Sad Song. In the summer of 1979, I got to see Rachel in Central Park as the lead in for Eddie Money. Then, in early 1980, tickets went on sale for Jerry Garcia at the Capitol Theatre, with Rachel Sweet as his lead-in. While my roomies weren't huge Garcia fans, they all agreed we should get tickets so we could see Rachel. And, so I did! The show was scheduled for March 1, 1980. A week before the concert, however, came the announcement that Robert Hunter had replaced Rachel Sweet as the lead-in. No explanation was provided, but I'm guessing there was concern that the Dead Head audience may not have appreciated Ms. Sweet. In any event, while I didn’t get to see Rachel that spring, plenty of other folkd did. This FM broadcast captures Ms. Sweet on April 8, 1980, 43 years ago today, at the Old Waldorf in San Francisco, which ironically was the home town of Jerry and the Grateful Dead. Download this one, then come back on April 29 for part 2 of this Same Tour, Different Show Double Play.





7 comments:

James said...

Thanks for this, speedy... I've always been interested to check her out.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this excellent quality recording & discovering now this artist that I missed when in adolescence :)
Never too late to discover her talent.
Derek from Paris

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to finish the story with "but my friends went anyway and became dedicated Jerry/Dead fans forever after!"!!
Ron in Flagstaff

Simon said...

Thanks for posting this and for using Zippyshare. I love both.

LakerCrazy said...

Hi speedy...can you re-up the Link for this one? TIA

speedymjb said...

@LakerCrazy - hope all is well my friend! New link is up - enjoy!

LakerCrazy said...

Thanks speedy!

Post a Comment