Jefferson Airplane
1970-04-02
Wally Heider's Studio
San Francisco, CA
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. We Can Be Together
02. Volunteers
03. Eskimo Blue Day
04. Mexico
05. Somebody To Love
06. Wooden Ships
07. Plastic Fantastic Lover
08. Emergency
09. The Ballad Of You & Me & Pooneil
The Jefferson Airplane entered the Rock & Roll Hall Of fame in 1996, alongside the David Bowie, Pink Floyd, and the Velvet Underground, just to name a few other members of that class. Grace Slick, the band's legndary singer, however, did not show up for the ceremony (nor did Roger Waters of Pink Floyd or Bowie). The members of teh Airplane that did attend took the stage to play 3 tunes - Embryonic Journey, Crown of Creation, and Volunteers.
This soundboard recording captures the Airplane with Grace at Wally Heider's studios in San Franciso on Aprul 2, 1970, 56 years ago today. The band played a live set for a for a television special calle San Francisco Rock: Go Ride The Music, which was broadcast on KQED/WNET on December 6, 1970.



8 comments:
ooh this looks interesting Speedy, Thanks my friend with do the usual cross post
Thanks for this and the Frampton too
Thank you!
I believe the correct date for this fine rehearsal is February 4, 1970 (2/4/70), not April 2, 1970 (4/2/70). The date has gotten confused by someone using the European dating convention (day/month/year) instead of the US (month/day/year). Why do I say this? Read the back cover. The concerts for which this rehearsal took place were in Dec 69 and Jan/Feb 1970. In fact, I have the Night at the Family Dog DVD referred to on the back cover and it says that was recorded in February, 1970. The Dead's set from Feb 4, 1970 has been officially issued and it contains the songs on that DVD (Hard to Handle and China/Rider). So I conclude this would be a rehearsal for the Airplane's performance at the Family Dog. This rehearsal contains two songs they play on the DVD (Eskimo Blue Day & Pooneil). So based on the back cover and my DVD, this rehearsal took place no later than February, 1970 and the date of 2/4/70 is a date we know the Dead played and were video recorded at the Family Dog. It all fits together (at least in my tangled brain)!
Great post by you in any case.
Thanks. I have seen sources quoting both dates. Wouldnt be surprised at all if February was correct
Being a history major, I'm kind of a nerd about stuff like this. I hope somebody else out there might find this interesting!
You're talking to a fellow history major!
I'm not a history major but I love reading history. Thank you speedy!
Post a Comment