Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Grateful Dead - 1991-05-03 - Sacramento, CA (SBD)

Grateful Dead 
1991-05-03
Cal Expo Amphitheatre
Sacramento, CA
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

1st Set:
01. Bertha >
02. Greatest Story Ever Told >
03. West L.A. Fadeaway
04. Queen Jane Approximately
05. Jack-A-Roe
06. It's All Over Now
07. Tennessee Jed
08. Let It Grow

2nd Set:
01. China Cat Sunflower >
02. I Know You Rider
03. Estimated Prophet >
04. He's Gone >
05. Drums >
06. Space >
07. The Wheel >
08. All Along The Watchtower >
09. Stella Blue >
10. Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore:
01. U.S. Blues


As long time readers of this blog know, I've spent numerous posts discussing the Dead's renaissance between 1989 and 1991. The number of official releases from that period is a testament to the caliber of the band's performances in that era, as they include:

  • a show from Philadelphia on July 7, 1989 
  • the Giant Stadium concerts from July 9 and 10, 1989
  • The 2 night stand at RFK Stadium from July 12 and 13, 1989
  • the famed Warlock shows in Hampton Virginia on October 8 and 9, 1989 
  • the Meadowlands NJ concert on October 16, 1989
  • the Landover, Maryland show on March 15, 1990 
  • the Knickerbocker arena run from March 24 to 26, 1990; 
  • 2 (yes 2) box sets from Spring 1990, featuring every show from that tour - the only other tour to be released in its entirety besides Europe 1972
  • a show from from Mountain View CA from June 16, 1990
  • a show from from Pittsburgh from July 8, 1990
  • the Madison Square Garden concerts from September 14 to 20, 1990. 
  • a show from Paris from October 27, 1990 
  • a show from Washington DC from June, 14, 1991
  • the Giants Stadium shows from June 16 and 17, 1991
  • a show from Pine Knob from June 20, 1991 
  • a show from Madison Square Garden from September 10, 1991, featuring Bradford Marsalis
  • a show from Boston Garden on September 25, 1991
Without a doubt, those 3 years marked the last great period of the Dead's incredible career.  This soundboard recording captures the Dead during that run, in Sacramento, on May 3, 1991, 32 years ago today.  Stop back tomorrow and the next day for 2 more shows from this run as part of our 1990s and Beyond theme this month.






3 comments:

beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff said...

I have always liked 1993 also! The sound of Jerry's guitar was very sweet and the intro of LSD & Dayz Between that year also made it special. The list of special shows is pretty extensive:
Feb 23 Ornette Coleman
March 17 Two Soldiers Jam > March 24 great Chapel Hill show!
April - 5 show run at Nassau Coliseum!
May - solid Vegas > Shoreline > Cal Expo shows
Aug - great Autzen shows (Best of the Year
September 6 night run at MSG topped off with the
Sept. 22 - David Murray show, followed by a 6
night run at Boston Garden!
Dec. - Solid run at LA Sports Arena followed by very
nice run at the Oakland Coliseum to finish up the
year!!
Check it out!!
It was in 1994 that I really noticed a decline in consistency (who ever thought that playing outside in Las Vegas at the END of JUNE would be a good idea??).
Anyway, i really like 1993!!
beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff! (1st show at Stony Brook Halloween!!)

speedymjb said...

1993 certainly did have some good shows and Jerry's tour late that year also was good. From my persoective, just not as good or consistent as 1989-1991. That sais, i saw them twice, at MSG, in 1993, and the first night was coll when they pened with a cover of Rain by the Beatles

beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff said...

Wow! I forgot about Rain!! That must have been fun!
Unfortunately, I only saw them in Vegas that year but that was a very nice run. I was up pretty close during the 2nd show and at the end of the encore (LSD), the whole crowd was singing Lucy in the Sky... and Jerry was standing there transfixed at the sound and as Bobby ran by he smacked him with his arm to get him out of his dream-like state so they could leave the stage!! It surely was a "moment"!!
In the 90's, I got a whole bunch of nice SBD's from '93 so I started listening to them and I liked them! I guess it's all good!!
And, speaking of ALL GOOD, what do you think of that Cornell show from last monday!! OMG, I loved it! I thought Minglewood was a little underwhelming but after that it just took off! As you can tell, I'm a very big John Mayer fan and I'm going to miss him playing with them. I think he fits 100% in the groove!! [My opinion :)]
Thanks for all your music!!

Post a Comment