Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Life Well Lived

Nine days ago, my dad passed away from complications from a difficult surgery. He would have been 79 this August. The viewing and funeral were held this past Wednesday and Thursday, 2 events that were both a final celebration of a life well lived and a time of sadness for all those who knew him. In thinking about my dad, I struggled with the fact that while I love history, no history book will ever record the events of his life. We record for posterity the sagas of presidents and poets, of actors and musicians, of heroic leaders and horrific dictators, but the lives of men like my dad are deemed “ordinary” and no book will document his accomplishments. Such a shame, because my dad was far from “ordinary”:
  • Though my dad was only 8 when he lost his father so he had no role model growing up, he somehow became an extraordinary father, who always put the needs of his wife, children and grandchildren before his own.
  • He was a devoted husband, who married his childhood sweetheart, loved her with all his heart, and remained by her side until his death, faithful to the end in an era where divorce has become commonplace.
  • Though he had never gone to college, he raised 2 children who both attended Ivy League universities, and his grandchildren appear to be on the same path.
  • While my sister and I will always cherish our educations, no college ever taught us more important lessons than my dad did, lessons that family comes first, that giving to and helping others is the highest calling, that work ethic is the key to success and that no goal is unattainable if you dedicate yourself to it.
  • He adored his grandchildren, and spending time with them, being silly with them, making them laugh, and showing them what family truly means.
  • He was a great boss at work, helping those who worked for him not only move their careers forward, but also live better lives.
  • My wife and my sister’s husband never thought of him as an “in law”, but as their 2nd father, a man who treated them as if he raised them himself. (And, of course, they feel the same way about my Mom).
  • Every close friend my sister and I ever had referred to him as “Dad” (and of course, called my mother “Mom”) because he treated them as if they were family.
Hundreds showed up for the viewing on Wednesday, so many that we overflowed the room and spilled into the hallways and outside. That was the moment that I realized it didn’t matter if the history books ever recorded my dad’s life. It didn’t matter because he would be remembered in a much more important place - the hearts and souls of every person he ever touched.

I love you dad, and I’ll miss you every day of the rest of my life, but I’ll make it through because I know you’ll be with me always, in my heart and my soul, guiding me as you always have. Thank you for teaching me all that you did, especially the value of a life well lived.

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO nice speach about your dad
I send my best wishes to you
I read your blog everyday and this is a wonderful
experience
bravo
from France

Anonymous said...

a visitor from italy said : "don 't cry for your dad - thank to your god that gives you a father so good !!! deste 71 - p.s. :only r'n'r' never die !!

Just Bill said...

My sincerest condolences on your loss. That you would write such a glowing tribute displays the character he obviously passed on to you. I lost my dad when he was 63 years of age and I know the pain you are feeling. It gets better over time and the fact that he was a great father should help with that. I'm one of those praying types, so I'll pray for you and your family tonight.

Anonymous said...

Speedymjb,
I Feel You Cause I Lost My Mother Last April And Although She Didn t Lived A "Great" Life (Many Problems And Difficulties),She Said To Me Some Days Before She Passed Away That She Had Done The Best She Could Do All Of Her Years...
Yes,This Is A Strong Daily Message To All Of Us Still Here.
Be Strong And Rememeber,There s No Real Losses Cause We Are All Passengers Made Of The Same Materials,Just Names,Thoughts And Faces Are Different.
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Dear speedymjb,

my sincere condolences for your loss. You father really seems to have been an extraordinary person.
I hope you'll be able to cope with the situation and keep up your father's memory.

Greeting from Germany,

Lars

Brad said...

So sorry to read of your dad's passing. It's times like these when all those lessons come flooding back and take hold even more strongly. May they bring you comfort in the times ahead. Thanks for sharing your touching tribute to one of those "ordinary" fathers who make us the men we are. You've documented his life in a way that no history book could. Peace.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss

iggy said...

What a beautiful tribute to Dad. I feel as if I knew him. or at least wish I had known him. Thank you for sharing his life with us. He will be in my history book forever, as well. All good wishes for you and your family.

Iggy

pichon64 said...

My heart goes to you and your family. Thanks for sharing this with us. Great hug from Uruguay.

Anonymous said...

that was sweet. God truly blessed you by giving you such a Man as a father.

Sam

simonthecat said...

My sympathy for your loss - my dad was also a very decent, hard-working guy who just wanted to take care of his family and be around the people he loved. It sounds as if there are many folks who loved and appreciated your father.

Anonymous said...

Speedy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose your best friend and greatest supporter. JCC

Bennett said...

Sorry for your loss, your Dad sounds like a great man.

Bennett said...

Sorry for your loss, your Dad sounds like a great man and role model.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. You wrote very nice words for a great man.
Stay strong.

Grtz, Bask (Netherlands)

scousemike said...

Hi speedy my friend. Really sorry to hear the sad news. He sounds like he was a truly great man. History books gather dust but memories will never leave you. All the very best to you & your family at this time Mike.

Bulletins From Mars Hill said...

A lovely tribute to your Dad. May God bless you and may you know his presence in the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

Speedy,

I'm so sorry that you lost your Dad. Your post was very moving. He seemed like a great guy and it it would have been an honor to know him. I lost my Mom five years ago so I know what you're going through. There will be some tough road ahead, but a lifetime of memories and a good support system will make the journey a lot easier.

Regards,

Steve

Anonymous said...

Dear speedymjb,
I don`t now you or your father but I want to give my well ment condolences with the loss of your father.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute to your Dad. Very moving. I have a feeling you are very similar and loving like he was. God Bless you and your family! Angels Be With You! Terry

Anonymous said...

Beautiful eulogy, he sounds like someone I would have liked to have known. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. The hole in your heart will never heal, but it will get easier to live with as time passes.

Bob w.

Huck said...

Your father would be very proud of a son who could write such a loving and moving tribute. My most sincere condolences. I hope each coming day gets a little easier.

harry said...

sorry for your loss,God bless

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy Speedy, my heart goes out to you ..

justdave

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like your father was an amazing man. And it is great that you appreciated him too, while he was still with you. You are right that history doesn't always capture the most amazing and heroic life stories but that doesn't make them any less remarkable or important. All the best.

sinatraglass said...

Thank you for your blog, and thank you for telling us a bit about your father.
The world is a better place for having a person like him visit it.
Bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Such a moving tribute, you just documented his accomplishments better than any book could ever do! You have my sincere condolences.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your father's death. Especially so near Father's Day.

My own died this past April. Friday the thirteenth to be exact.

After 55 years, the realization there would be no answer when I said 'dad' was a very, very tough one.

La Piazza Gancio

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful man. Your Dad did a good job, his son is a tribute to that.

Big Trev

La Piazza Gancio said...

So sorry to hear about you dad. Especially so close to Father's Day.

Mine died in April--Friday the thirteenth to be exact.

Knowing there will never again be a response when I say 'dad' is tough. Real tough.

Anonymous said...

My sympathies to you and your family. A friend and I both lost our fathers around the same time. As we were writing some songs together we decided we wanted to write about our feelings without getting too heavy. What we came down to is that there is lonesomeness during your grieving. But as it passes you realize that you are never alone. Your father will always be with you. And while you won't see him or get to have conversations with him about important things in your life, you can talk to him and he will always live through you. Try to smile and thanks for all the great sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Sounded like a great person.

Anonymous said...

great tribute!
cheers

speedymjb said...

Thank you all for the kind words. Your heartfelt expressions of sympathy and compassion have helped greatly in dealing with my loss.

KPR said...

So sorry for your loss, beautiful words describe a beautiful person, your gaurdian angel will look over you always, my Dad does so for me.

KPR said...

Sorry for you loss, beautiful words describing a beautiful person. He will be your Gaurdian Angel forever, my Dad does so for me.
Irish blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

You and your family were truly blessed to have your father in your life, and your sentiments show how much he will be missed by all.

Truly touching tribute by you.

gregodio said...

lo siento por tu pérdida. escribiste unas palabras muy bonitas. saludos desde venezuela

Shaun said...

Wishing peace to you and your family during this difficult time... Be strong, Speedy.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. I am sure your Dad would be proud of the things you say about him, and without having the pleasure of knowing him I feel that I can share memories as well.

Tennesseefred said...

Sorry for your loss. What a great tribute to your father! He indeed sounds like a wonderful man to aspire to be like. Seeing how you do things here and at BTW, your father's legacy is a part of you. He will live on in you forever I am sure!

Gimmeanatari said...

June 29 marks 13 years for the loss of my Dad and July 9 will be 3 years since my Mom passed. I am sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you at this sad time.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, but I must say, your post made me smile because it sounds like you were so lucky to have such a great dad, and you knew enough to appreciate it. I am sure he is smiling down upon you now...

speedymjb said...

Sorry for the delayed response as I've been away fro a few days. Thank you all for the very kind words.

Anonymous said...

Lovely piece. Long may his love burn within you all. Your father sounds like a great man.

Charlie From New York said...

Just read your post today. Wonderful tribute to your dad. I share your feelings of loss for I also lost my dad recently. He, too, was a great man who accomplished more in his 87 years than I could ever think of in my lifetime: World War II hero, Golden Gloves champ, college athlete, Hall of Fame teacher and coach, and the most decent human being I've ever known. Cherish the years you spent with your dad. I was blessed with 61 years of life with my hero.

Post a Comment