Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tom Petty - 1985-06-16 - Saratoga Springs, NY (SBD)

Tom Petty
& The Heartbreakers
1985-06-16
Saratoga Performing Arts Center
Saratoga Springs, NY
Soundboard Recording
192 kbps
Artwork Included

01. American Girl
02. Listen To Her Heart
03. Dogs On The Run
04. You Got Lucky
05. It Ain't Nothin' To Me
06. Don't Do Me Like That
07. The Waiting
08. I Need To Know
09. The Best Of Everything
10. Change Of Heart
11. Don't Come Around Here No More
12. Spike
13. Southern Accents
14. Rebels
15. Breakdown
16. Refugee
17. Make It Better
18. A Little Bit Of Soul


1980s - #3 -  Famed sports writer Red Smith once penned that to get to Saratoga from New York City, “you drive north for about 175 miles, turn left on Union Avenue and go back 100 years,”  Smith gave those directions over a half century ago but his quip endures because so much of historic Saratoga is still intact. Along Union Avenue, Victorian houses still stand proudly with and their wraparound porches fronting deep lawns.  On Broadway, the town’s well-preserved main street still evokes a late 19th century spa resort. For six weeks each summer, Saratoga’s population of 26,000 doubles as people come to watch America’s top horses and jockeys compete on dirt and turf at Saratoga Race Course, which turns 153 years old this year.  The site is to horse racing what Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are to baseball, an awe-inspiring monument to a bygone era. The area also boasts one of the premier outdoor concert venues in the US, the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year. Just off the Avenue of The Pines in Saratoga Spa State Park, the SPAC is the official summer home of the New York City Ballet and the Philadelphia Orchestra, both of which are in residence for two or three weeks during the summer. The Doors played the first rock concert at the SPAC on September 1, 1968, and since then, the venue has featured some of the biggest names in the business each and every summer. It even hosted Farm Aid in 2013.  This soundboard recording captures Tom Petty at the SPAC on June 16, 1985, 27 years ago today.

10 comments:

jcgolf said...

Saratoga is not so quaint now. Like The Pretenders song... My City was Gone! Now at SPAC you are treated like a criminal and gouged for food, beverages and parking. "Way To Go Toga!" I'm sorry I thought I gave Dino this show at 320, I'll have to check. I gave Dino all my SPAC cassette masters in the hopes that he would remaster then and set them free on the net.

jcgolf said...

Sadly, Dino has fallen on hard times and he hadn't gotten around to it. Hopefully he will find his way back.

jcgolf said...

you wanna give me a snailmail address like Dino did, I'll send you what I have also.

speedymjb said...

Jc - I hope Dino finds his way back as well. Thanks for the offer but I'd have no idea what to do with any cassettes. That's beyond my technical know how.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the great show speedy, dont have any 85 shows so im looking forward to this.Speaking of Dino,what is going on with him ? keep hearing that he has fallen on hard times.Is it health related ? sure hope not

speedymjb said...

Sorry - I don't have any more details on Dino- I just hope whatever it is he can overcome it

Anonymous said...

does anyone know what is wrong with dino? really loved his blog back in the day,health problems are what come to mind when info is vague , could someone please shed some light, thanks CC

Anonymous said...

Why does it say Sarasota?

speedymjb said...

Because spell check made a mistake! Its Saratoga!

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy

Post a Comment