Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Bruce Springsteen - 1988-05-03 - Mountain View CA (SBD)

Bruce Springsteen 
& The E Street Band
1988-05-03
Shoreline Amphitheatre,
Mountain View, CA
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

CD 1:
01. Introduction
02. Tunnel Of Love
03. Be True
04. Adam Raised A Cain
05. Two Faces
06. All That Heaven Will Allow
07. Seeds
08. Roulette
09. Cover Me
10. Brilliant Disguise
11. Introduction
12. Spare Parts
13. War
14. Born In The USA

CD 2:
01. Tougher Than The Rest
02. Aint Got You
03. She's The One
04. You Can Look
05. Im A Coward
06. Im On Fire
07. One Step Up
08. Part Man Part Monkey
09. Backstreets
10. Dancing In The Dark
11. Light Of Day

CD 3:
01. Introduction
02. Born To Run
03. Hungry Heart
04. Glory Days
05. Rosalita
06. Have Love Will Travel
07. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
08. Sweet Soul Music
09. Raise Your Hand
10. Little Latin Lupe Lu
11. Twist And Shout

Soundcheck:
12. Im So Lonesome I Could Cry
13. Crying


Bruce Springsteen; 1980s: When I went to see Bruce Springsteen 28 years ago on March 19, 1988, I was expecting another of his high energy, full tilt boogie, rock and roll celebrations. Instead, I got darkness and pain. Perhaps the "This is a dark ride" sign that appeared on the stage as the band entered should have been a tip off. From the tone of lost love in many of the songs from the Tunnel of Love disc, to an angry version of Born In the USA, to an acoustic, stripped bare version of Born To Run, this was a different Bruce Springsteen. With the benefit of hindsight, it's now easy to see why. We know now that Tunnel of Love was about the disintegration of his marriage to Julianne Phillips. We know as well that Bruce was going through other dramatic personal changes at the time, which would lead, in the next 12 months, to dissolving the E Street Band (fortunately only temporarily) and moving from his NJ roots to LA with new love and future wife, Patti Scialfa. It was a time where one chapter was ending and a new one beginning. While I couldn't find a bootleg of the May 23 show that I attended, I do have this soundboard recording from Mountain View on May 3, 1988, 28 years ago today. The set list and mood mimic the concert I was at. Download it for a glimpse inside Bruce and the band at a moment just before their temporary breakup.



3 comments:

iggy said...

Thanks so much for this great concert, Speedy. Superb sound and content. Worth every second of my "real time" 3 hours + download! You are, as they say, The Man!

Iggy

draftervoi said...

I was at this one, it's a good show.

Thomas said...

Thanks so much for this, speedy!

Post a Comment