Rachel Sweet
1979-07-25
Paradise
Boston, MA
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Truckstop Queen
02. Something Goin' On In My Head
03. Foul Play
04. Stranger In The House04
05. Spellbouund
06. I Go To Pieces
07. B-A-B-Y
08. Wildwood Saloon
09. It's My Nerves
10. Cuckoo Clock
11. Who Does Lisa Like?
12. Connection
13. C'mon Everybody
14. Alison
1979-07-25
Paradise
Boston, MA
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Truckstop Queen
02. Something Goin' On In My Head
03. Foul Play
04. Stranger In The House04
05. Spellbouund
06. I Go To Pieces
07. B-A-B-Y
08. Wildwood Saloon
09. It's My Nerves
10. Cuckoo Clock
11. Who Does Lisa Like?
12. Connection
13. C'mon Everybody
14. Alison
As the decade of the 1970s came to a close, punk and new wave music, which had been the province of underground and college radio stations, began to make its way onto more mainstream stations such as WNEW-FM in New York. The first time I heard the then 18 year old Rachel Sweet on WNEW, I had to run out and buy her debut album, Fool Around. The disc became a staple on the turntable (yes - it's that old!)in my college dorm room. Part new wave, part early 60's girl group in sound, the album featured songs such a B-A-B-Y, Wildwood Saloon, I Go to Pieces and Sad Song. In the summer of 1979, I got to see Rachel in Central Park as the lead in for Eddie Money. This FM Broadcast captures Rachel during that tour, in Boston, on July 25, 1979, 43 years ago this very day. Unfortunately that would be the last time I saw Ms. Sweet live, though I did make a real effort to catch a 2nd show, only to have the rock gods intervene. In early 1980, tickets went on sale for Jerry Garcia at the Capitol Theatre, with Rachel Sweet as his lead-in. While my roomies weren't huge Garcia fans, they all agreed we should get tickets so we could see Rachel. And, so I did! The show was scheduled for March 1, 1980. A week before the concert, however, came the announcement that Robert Hunter had replaced Rachel Sweet as the lead-in. No explanation was ever provided, but I'm guessing there was concern that the Dead Head audience may not have appreciated Ms. Sweet.



2 comments:
Deadheads were always very polite to the opening acts I saw.....one of those bands being The Violent Femmes! I think it's more probable that her management thought that opening for The Dead was a waste of time; this is at the height of Disco Dead, "Go To Heaven", there couldn't be anything LESS hip (from the point of a view of a New Waver) than opening for The Dead.
Fabulous - thank you speedy!
Post a Comment