Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 2, 2023

Simon & Garfunkel - 1967-01-02 - Buffalo NY (SBD)

Simon & Garfunkel
1967-01-02
Unknown Venue
Buffalo, NY
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01.  Sparrow
02.  Homeward Bound
03.  You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies
04.  A Most Peculiar Man
05.  Red Rubber Ball
06.  The Dangling Conversation
07.  The 59th Street Bridge Song
08.  Richard Cory
09.  Benedictus
10.  Blessed
11.  A Poem on the Underground Wall
12.  I Am A Rock
13.  Anji
14.  The Sound of Silence
15.  For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
16.  A Church Is Burning
17.  Wednesday Morning 3 A.M.


On January 21, 1966, the single, The Sounds of Silence, hit number 1 on the Billboard Charts. Ironically, the song had been released 2 years earlier on Simon and Garfunkel’s first album, Wednesday Morning, 3 AM, an album that had been a commercial flop. Moreover, at the time the song entered the charts, Simon and Garfunkel were not working together, the duo having broken up in 1965. Commercial success got them back together, resulting in the release of 2 classic albums in 1966. In January, they released The Sounds of Silence, capitalizing on the success of the single! Then in October, they released Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. The 2 discs firmly established the genre we now call folk rock, and were filled with songs which today are classics, including Scarborough Fair, I Am A Rock, Richard Cory, , Homeward Bound, and The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy). This soundboard recording, from Buffalo New York, from January 2, 1967, 56 years ago this very day, captures Simon and Garfunkel just a few months  after the release of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.



8 comments:

beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff said...

wow! I've never seen/heard this one!! thanks!

Anonymous said...

This seems to be the exact same recording as the disc labeled '1967-03-11 - Medford, MA, Tufts University (SBD)' on this same blog, except that the first song ('Leaves That Are Green', which is incomplete) has been cut off.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all these precious gems.

Fieldhippie said...

Nice! Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my friend. I hope you saw the Tweedy / Bennett Acoustic show I put up today. It said it was a sbd, from the station. You are welcome to use it, always. You probably already have it, but it was like finding an old friend. It is a really excellent show.jimg.

speedymjb said...

Happy new year jimg. I did see and grabbed it. I'll giev it a listen based on your recommendation! By the way - I posted a bunch of stuff in FA+LAC because I know lots of CAVERS prefer that, but if you want any of it in MP#, just let me know and I;ll put up a link for you!

Anonymous said...

TY jimg

Anonymous said...

The Label Called 'Oil Well' is notorious for false info such as locations,venues and dates. I bought one once posing as 'John Lennon Live In San Francisco' which turned out to be Imagine outtakes, no live songs at all.Beware

Anonymous said...

Beware of any releases on the Oil Well label, as they are notorious for false info, such as location of concert and dates.I once purchased a cd called 'John Lennon Live In San Francisco' and it had NO LIVE SONGS on it, actually was Imagine outtakes.

Post a Comment