Coming Attractions

From September 24 to 30, we'll bring you:
the Grateful Dead, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller, the Hurricane Andrew Relief concert, Spin Doctors, Graham Parker, Bill Graham Tribute Concert, the Grateful Dead, and John Hiatt!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Jerry Garcia Band - 1978-03-17 - Capitol Theatre, Passaic NJ (late) (SBD)

Jerry Garcia Band
1978-03-17
Late Show
Capitol Theatre
Passaic, NJ
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Harder They Come (aud source)
02. Mission In The Rain           
03. Russian Lullaby
04. Tore Up Over You           
05. Love In The Afternoon   
06. I'll Be With Thee                 
07. Night They Drove Old Dixie Down   

Encore
08. Rhapsody In Red


JGB 1978 - Back To Back - #2:  Forty four years ago today, on March 17, 1978, I experienced 2 "firsts" in my concert "career" - I made my initial visit to the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ, and I saw the Jerry Garcia Band for the first time. As I mentioned in our earlier post today, The Capitol was unlike any other concert venue I'd ever visit. Located in a downtrodden section of Passaic, the venue was a X-rated movie theater during the day! John Scher, one of rock's legendary promoters, started producing shows at the 3200-seat Capitol in 1971, soon after the Filmore East closed.  For a complete history of the Capitol, including copies of playbills and a list of every show ever at the venue, go here. Jerry's performance that March 1978 night made my first visit to the Capitol one I'd never forget. The band was in one of those zones, where every thing they attempted went right, including stellar versions of The Harder They Come, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Tore Up and Rhapsody In Red. I spent the last 40 years looking for a tape of this concert to no avail, until Catfish John, a regular visitor to this site, who takes his on-line name from a Jerry tune, came across this recently surfaced soundboard of the show. While its missing the opening tune, The Harder They Come, I was able to add that from an excellent audience recording. To hear it again brought back a host of great memories and reminded me why I spend so much time collecting bootlegs and writing about concerts!. Thanks Catfish for a wonderful gift




3 comments:

Catfish John said...

Aw shucks, you're the best Speedy, thanks!!! I am very proud that I could give a little back to you're magnificent site. Nice artwork too! Happy St. Patrick's day everybody!

Unknown said...

please repost dead link thanks

speedymjb said...

new link is up! enjoy!

Post a Comment