Coming Attractions

From August 9 to 17, we'll bring you:
Squeeze, the Neville Brothers, Neil Young, Blues Traveler, Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia, Katrina & The Waves, U2, Joan Jett, Bob Dylan, The Pretenders, Elton John, Tom Petty, the Grateful Dead, Maria McKee, and The Clash!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 8, 2026

Rockpile - 1978-08-08 - Stockholm, Sweden (TV SBD)

Rockpile
1978-08-08 
Skansen Swedish TV
Stockholm, Sweden
TV SBD Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Intro
02. So It Goes
03. I Knew The Bride (When She Used to Rock 'n' Roll)
04. I Love The Sound of Breaking Glass
05. Trouble Boys
06. I Hear You Knocking
07. Heart Of The City
08. Down Down Down
09. Here Comes the Weekend
10. Love So Fine
11. They Called It Rock
12. The Promised Land
13. Ju Ju Man


I saw Rockpile just once, on July 8, 1979 at Belmont Race Track. I was 20 years old in the summer of 1979, and basically my life consisted of what girl could I date, what beer could I drink, and what concert could I get tickets to. I think I may have been most successful at the 3rd of those 3 things. In July, for example, I saw concerts on 3 straight Saturday nights, Stephen Stills on July 7, Jorma Kaukonen on July 14 and the Allman Brothers on July 21. Having dedicated Saturdays in July to classic rock, I used a Sunday to take in 2 of the "new wave" bands that were then all the rage. On Sunday, July 8, my buddies and I drove to Belmont Race Track in Long Island to catch a double bill of Blondie and Rockpile! I'll be honest, I don't remember much about the day for a variety of reasons. First, having seen Stephen Stills the night before, there were some after effects that lingered into Sunday, if you know what I mean. Second, the car ride took over 2.5 hours due to summer beach traffic, which didn't help my condition. Finally, it was hot as hell that day, which also didn't help me in overcoming the the residual effects from Saturday night. I do remember, however, the contrast in styles between the folks at Belmont for the concert and those who were there for the horse racing. On one hand, you had the 20 year old new wavers with big hair, funky glasses, neon colored, leggings, skinny ties, etc. On the other hand, you had old men, with cigars, in button down short sleeve shirts, looking like Oscar Madison from the Odd Couple. In any event, I don't really recall how well either band played that July afternoon, a real shame since I was (and still am) a huge fan of Rockpile, thanks in large part to Nick Lowe's Pure Pop For Now People disc (Jesus of Cool in the UK) and Dave Edmund's Repeat When Necessary album. I also remember, that Rockpile opened with the highly appropriate The Race is On! By the way, if you like what you just read, then you'll definitely enjoy my book

This TV soundboard recoring captures Rockpile about a year before I saw them, on August 8, 1978, 4 dozen years ago today. Note that the sound is just a bit muffled, mayb edue to the age of the video.







0 comments:

Post a Comment