Solomon Burke
2004-07-09
Montreux Jazz Festival
Auditorium Stravinski
Montreux, Switzerland
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Instrumental Intro > King Solomon enters on stage
02. Early In The Morning
03. Down In The Valley
04. Diamond In Your Mind
05. None Of Us Are free
06. A Change Is Gonna Come
07. I Wish I Knew > If I Had A Hammer
08. Soul Searching
09. If You Need Me > Tonight's The Night > He'll Have To Go > Just Out Of Reach
10. Got To Get You Off Of My Mind > Havin' A Party > Hey Man
11. Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay > Spanish Harlem > Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
12. Spoken Intro
13. River's Invitation
14. Intro > I Will Survive**
15. I Will Survive** (continued)
16. Cry To Me?
17. Diavolo in Me***
18. Georgia***
19. Long Tall Sally > Tutti Frutti > Shake Rattle & Roll
20. What I'd Say****
21. May The Good Lord Bless You & Keep You
22. Don't Give Up On Me
23. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
*with Barbara Morrison vocals
**Solomon's daugther vocals
***with Zucchero "Sugar" Fornaciari
****with Van Morrison, Barbara Morrison and Angelique Kidjo on vocals
Launched in 1967, the Montreux Jazz festival is one of the longest running and largest events of its type in the world. The festival was initially held at the original Montreux Casino, which burned down in December 1971 during Frank Zappa's performance, as referenced in Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. The festival was held then in other auditoriums in Montreux, until it could return to the rebuilt Casino in 1975. The festival continued to grow, and in 1993, it moved to the larger Montreux Convention Centre, which features 2 venues Auditorium Stravinski (capacity 3,500) and Miles Davis Hall (capacity 1,800). As with other jazz festivals, Montreux has embraced other generes of music over the years, with artists such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Santana, and Ringo Starr, just to name 4, all payling the festival. To give you some additional perspective on how diverse a group of performers have opalyed Montreux, we'll bring you a host of shows this month from the festival, none by any of the artists listed above!. Well start with this FM broadcast of Solomon Burke from July 9, 2004, 21 years ago today. For those not familiar with the late great Solomon Burke, he's considered to be one of the founding fathers of soul music in the 1960s. He had a string of hits including Cry to Me, If You Need Me, Got to Get You Off My Mind, Down in the Valley" and Everybody Needs Somebody to Love, the last of which was featured prominently in the Blue Brothers movie. Burke had a host of nicknames including as King Solomon, the King of Rock 'n' Soul, the Bishop of Soul and even the Muhammad Ali of Soul. I saw him in June 2003, serving as the lead-in to Van Morrison, who makes an appearnce on What I'd Say at this performance.



3 comments:
Solomon Burke was one of the first celebrity friends I made on Facebook. I remember him telling us he was flying to Demark to appear on TV with a Norwegian band backing him up. I simply told him to have a safe trip and return to us. Sadly, he did not; he was a morbidly obese man and passed away on that trip. When I hear his wonderful song "We Don't Need It," it reminded me of the times I felt less than human when I was not working.
Wow -very sad but touching memory.
Thanks so much!
Post a Comment