Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, November 22, 2013

How We Choose What To Post At So Many Roads

As we’ve progressed through oour 6 Decades of Rock theme here in November, I’ve gotten numerous questions on how we choose what to post here at So Many Roads. I’ve also gotten several requests for certain bands or types of music. Given all that, I thought I’d take a minute to explain how we decide on what to post. I consider 3 things in deciding what bands/concerts to post at So Many Roads:
  1. Sound Quality: Basically, no show gets posted unless the sound quality is top notch. Over 90% of what we post at So Many Roads are soundboard or FM broadcasts. When I first started this site 4 years ago, I took the advice of Tunzmaster Dino, from the legendary D&P’s Bootleg Tunzworld, that no one wants to hear a show that sounds like it was recorded in your bathroom with the water running.  Sound quality is king. While we do post some audience recordings, we do our best to make sure they sound great. Occasionally, maybe 1 or 2 % of the time, we’ll post a less than great sounding show for historical or sentimental reasons, but 9 out of 10 times, if not more, we’re bringing you a soundboard or broadcast quality show.

  2. The Date: Given that this blog has evolved to feature a this date in history” approach, the show we post each day has to be from that day! So, if its November 22, then we’ll find a concert from November 22 from some year between 1955 and today. When you see posts such as Concerts From Today in history or some other type of announcement, it means I couldn’t find a show from that day that I felt was worth posting.

  3. My Taste In Music: In the end, I post shows that feature music I enjoy. You see lots of shows at So Many Roads from the Grateful Dead, The Beatles, CSNY, Eric Clapton the Allman Brothers, etc. because that’s what I listen to every day. I’m not a fan of heavy metal, grunge or progressive rock, so you don’t see any posts from bands that play those styles of music. I like the blues, but in small doses, which is why you only get occasional posts from artists such as Muddy Waters, Robert Cray or Stevie Ray Vaughn. I’m into live music, not studio outtakes, so you’ll see very few of the latter type of posts here at So Many Roads. I know that my musical tastes may differ from others, which is why I link to sites such as JustDave’s Place, where you can often find music I may not post. By the way, the number of times I post a band ousually reflects how much I enjoy their music but not always. You’d see far more Beatles posts, for example, but unfortunately, there are far too few high quality concert recordings available. Same goes for The Band from the Robbie Robertson era, Rockpile and Derek & The Dominos, just to name a few.
Hope all the above helps. Thanks for visiting So Many Roads and enjoy the tunz.

13 comments:

jcgolf said...

I like what you do with this blog and I agree with what you had to say. I'm thankful for what you share and your generosity is appreciated. Thanks

Prof said...

Hello !
thank you for all this work

bye from France !

Steve626 said...

Excellent post. And this is why I like your blog so much -- the thought that goes into it, not to mention the music.

Anonymous said...

Your hard work and extensive knowledge has benefitted so many people you've never met. Thank you for so many hours I've spent listening to your work. Thank you for sharing. Thanks for being cool.

Anonymous said...

If I had the time to do like you do (but I haven't :-( ), I would do it just the way you do, thank you very much !!!
;-) ItsonlyRockandRoll

Alan said...

Your blog is awesome and I check it every day. Love everything about it. Thanks for everything.

Anonymous said...

Never said a proper thank you before when you posted your anniversary post. This is a wonderful, wonderful place and your efforts are certainly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Everything you post is a welcomed gift. No need for explanations~! I thank you for your generosity.

Don

Brad said...

Speedy,
Your site is the first place I look every morning. I've often listened to the show of the day on my drive to work. I've shared many shows with friends and directed them to your site. The work you put into this project is evident and appreciated by lots of music lovers. Love the selection, information, and quality of everything here. Many thanks!

speedymjb said...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Love writing this and sharing the tunz with folks like yourselves who are so appreciative. Makes it all worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

I love your site as its taste mirror my own. I have picked up loads of music here. It is one of the few sites with an actual concept at work.

Anonymous said...

What can I say more than previous comments ? Thanks, thanks and mille merci from France. Your site is a daily enjoyment and for sure, downloading a concert from your blog is a quality certification. Totally agree with Dino's and your bathroom statement ! Long live your blog, you deserve 2 976 155 comments (as mentioned at this hour on your flag counter)

Derek from Paris

SkunkApe said...

Speedy,

You rock dude! Thanks again for all you do!

SkunkApe

Post a Comment