Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 21, 2014

Bruce Cockburn - 1989-04-21 - Denver CO (FM)

Bruce Cockburn
1989-04-21
Paramount Theatre
Denver, CO
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Grim Travelers
02. Silver Wheels
03. Lovers in a Dangerous Time
04. Going Up Against Chaos
05. The Trouble With Normal
06. Rocket Launcher
07. Lily of the Midnight Sky
08. Don't Feel Your Touch
09. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
10. Wondering Where the Lions Are
11. Tibetan Side of Town
12. Rumours of Glory
13. Shipwrecked at the Stable Door
14. Tokyo
15. Where the Death Squad Lives
16. To Raise the Morning Star
17. The Gift
18. Heartbeat 
19. Radium Rain


Our “We’re An American Band (North American, that is)” theme this April is the perfect opportunity for the first post at So Many Roads featuring Bruce Cockburn. Cockburn was born in Canada in 1945, and established a strong following in that country after he began his musical career. He didn’t have much impact in the US until 1980 when his single, Wondering Where The Lions Are, went to #21 on the Billboard charts.His 1984 album Stealing Fire, produced the well know singles Lovers In A Dangerous Time and If I had A rocket Launcher. While I owned that disc, I soon lost tocuh with Cockburn’s music, moving on to other bands. I reconnected with his material, however, in the early 1990s, thanks to Jerry Garcia. At a concert at Madison Square Garden in November 1991, I heard Garcia play a wonderful tune called Waiting On A Miracle. Knowing it wasn’t a Jerry original, I did some research, and lo and behold, learned it was written by Cockburn about the revolution in Nicaragua. As long time readers of this blog know, I have always credited the Dead for introducing me to a host of music and styles that I might never otherwise klearned about. This FM broadcast captures Cockburn on April 21, 1989, a quarter century ago today, in Denver. If you’re not familiar with his work, download this give it a listen - I think you’ll be very surprised and pleased.















 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for featuring Bruce Cockburn. His album "Big Circumstance" came out in 1988, it was the first album of him I bought. Radium Rain is a stand-out track. I am very pleased that this concert features a live rendition.

speedymjb said...

My pleasure! More From Bruce Cockburn to come in the future!

Anonymous said...

Thank's Speedy ! Great music again from my favorite blog .
bruce

Alan said...

Speedy,

You've been posting some incredible shows this last week or so. Unfortunately, send-space is such a filthy site with its pop-ups/spam that I have been unable to download Cockburn, Crosby or Jorma. Zippy share is such a cleaner platform to use. Is there any way you could post those shows on Zippy? If not I understand but would hope that you use Zippy more in the future and avoid send-space if it is at all possible. Thanks!

speedymjb said...

Thanks for the kind words. when it comes to uploading, Zippyshare only allows files under 200 MB. So everything over that mark goes on sendspace. I just don't have the time to break stuff up into smaller chunks unless I absolutely have to (files over 400 mb). I actually find sendspace very ease to use. Just clikc where it says "click here to download from sendspace". And just bbe sure to avoid using their download accelerator (uncheck the box). Hope that helps.

Alan said...

OK, so the problem is really my crappy infected home computer and not send-space. It works just fine. I've now got the Cockburn (which has beautiful sound quality) and the Jorma and will get the Crosby next. So thanks, it's all good!

speedymjb said...

Glad you were able to download the sendspace shows!

Anonymous said...

Could you please re-up this show? Many thanks. -M

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy!

Olli said...

Could you please re-up this show? thank you!

speedymjb said...

New link is up - enjoy!

Olli said...

thank you very much

Post a Comment