Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, May 8, 2021

Rachel Sweet - 1980-05-08 - Bottom Line, NY (FM)

Rachel Sweet
1980-05-08
The Bottom Line
New York, NY
WNEW-FM Broadcast
160 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Truck Stop Queen
02. Foul Play
03. Jealous
04. Who Does Lisa Like?
05. Spellbound
06. Take Good Care Of Me
07. B.A.B.Y.
08. Wildwood Saloon
09. New Age
10. Tonight
11. Cuckoo Clock
12. New Rose
13. Tonight Ricky
14. I've Got A Reason
15. All Shook Up
16. Jailhouse Rock
17. Baby, Lets Play House
18. The Boys On 7th Avenue  

As the decade of the 1970s came to a close, punk and new wave music, which had been the province of underground and college radio stations, began to make its way onto more mainstream stations such as WNEW-FM in New York. The first time I heard the then 18 year old Rachel Sweet on WNEW, I had to run out and buy her debut album, Fool Around. The disc became a staple on the turntable (yes - it's that old!) in my college dorm room. Part new wave, part early 60's girl group in sound, the album featured songs such a B-A-B-Y, Wildwood Saloon, I Go to Pieces and Sad Song. In the summer of 1979, I got to see Rachel in Central Park as the lead in for Eddie Money. Then, in early 1980, tickets went on sale for Jerry Garcia at the Capitol Theatre, with Rachel Sweet as his lead-in. While my roomies weren't huge Garcia fans, they all agreed we should get tickets so we could see Rachel. And, so I did! The show was scheduled for March 1, 1980. A week before the concert, however, came the announcement that Robert Hunter had replaced Rachel Sweet as the lead-in. No explanation was provided, but I'm guessing there was concern that the Dead Head audience may not have appreciated Ms. Sweet. In any event, while I didn’t get to see Rachel that spring, plenty of other folks did. This FM broadcast features Rachel Sweet on May 8, 1980. 41 years ago today. 



7 comments:

PghJJ said...

Could you re-upload this Rachel Sweet show? Thanks!

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Please re up!

speedymjb said...

new link is up! enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi, great if you could re-upload this show once more!

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy

Derek said...

Thank you. Nice companion to the San Francisco 4th of August or 8th of April concert. Always have trouble dating 04/08, American or European way...

Post a Comment