Southside Johnny
& the Asbury Jukes
1976-05-30
The Stone Pony
Asbury Park, NJ
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. This Time It's For Real
02. Got to Get You Off My Mind
03. Sweeter Than Honey
04. How Come You Treat Me So Bad (w/ Lee Dorsey)
05. Little By Little
06. The Fever (w/ Clarence Clemmons)
07. Broke Down Piece of Man
08. It Ain't the Meat (It's the Motion) (w/ Max Wienberg)
09. I Choose To Sing the Blues
10. I Don't Want To Go Home (w/Miami Steve Van Zandt)
11. You Mean So Much To Me (w/ Ronnie Spector)
12. Havin' A Party (w/Bruce Springsteen, Miami Steve and the rest)
Southside Johnny - 1976-05-30 - Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NJ (FM)
The New Jersey music scene rose to prominence in 1975 thanks to Bruce Springsteen. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes were the 2nd most famous act to emerge from that scene. Their first three albums, I Don't Want To Go Home (1976), This Time It's For Real (1977), and Hearts Of Stone (1978), were filled with Stax R&B influences. All 3 discs were produced and arranged by Steve Van Zandt, the group's co-founder, who also played guitar in Springsteen's E Street band. Van Zandt's tune, I Don't Want To Go Home, became Southside's signature song, an evocative mixture of horn-based melodic riffs and sentimental lyrics. The band's repertoire also included The Fever, Talk to Me, This Time It's For Real, Love on the Wrong Side of Town, a wonderful cover of Sam Cooke's Having A Party, and the definitive version of Springsteen's Hearts of Stone. This FM broadcast captures Southside & The Jukes at the Stony Pony in Asbury Park on May 30, 1976, 45 years ago today. The band was celebrating the release of their first album with a little help from their friends - Bruce, Miami Steve, Clarence Clemmons, the rest of the E-Street Band and Ronnie Spector!
The New Jersey music scene rose to prominence in 1975 thanks to Bruce Springsteen. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes were the 2nd most famous act to emerge from that scene. Their first three albums, I Don't Want To Go Home (1976), This Time It's For Real (1977), and Hearts Of Stone (1978), were filled with Stax R&B influences. All 3 discs were produced and arranged by Steve Van Zandt, the group's co-founder, who also played guitar in Springsteen's E Street band. Van Zandt's tune, I Don't Want To Go Home, became Southside's signature song, an evocative mixture of horn-based melodic riffs and sentimental lyrics. The band's repertoire also included The Fever, Talk to Me, This Time It's For Real, Love on the Wrong Side of Town, a wonderful cover of Sam Cooke's Having A Party, and the definitive version of Springsteen's Hearts of Stone. This FM broadcast captures Southside & The Jukes at the Stony Pony in Asbury Park on May 30, 1976, 45 years ago today. The band was celebrating the release of their first album with a little help from their friends - Bruce, Miami Steve, Clarence Clemmons, the rest of the E-Street Band and Ronnie Spector!



7 comments:
Don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but solidfiles won't connect with anything other than long error messages.
Sorry you are having an issue but just tested it and its working fine
Like the peach I enjoyed for dessert, this is ripe. Thank you for sharing!
My pleasure my good friend!
Great stuff. Thank you for the upload.
Hi speedy
1st let me thank YOU once more for YOUR
great 'n' priceless day by day work!
I'm really thankful and you made me
so happy by posting another glorious
moment from my favorite Band
(since 4 decades Johnny and Steve
are the only reason to travel regularly
to Europe and the US)
- Thanks a lot - be blessed for bringing on this great show!
I'm so pleased that this concert includes the
most hilarious Song by Miami "How come you treat me so bad"
which is damn rare to find as a live performance.
Thank YOU also for adding all the great pictures and news-article.
Btw the artwork on the CDs back side cover lists a
different song list for the LATE SHOW at the same date.
(Maybe someday YOU will bring also this show up on
your fantastic blog!?!)
And - no critic - but on Song #3 "Sweeter than honey"
at 2:23 to 2:25 there is a cut / please someday
you might check out if this cut is also on your
original source.
Thank YOU so much for YOUR great, fantastic work
for So Many Roads To Ease My Soul!
The site that made me and numberless fellows addicted to
(i visit SMRTEMS every day!)
Stay healthy 'n' keep on rockin'!
Thanks for the very kind words! The cut in sweeter than honey is how I got it. And the artwork is all I could find - wish I had the early show artwork and the late show tape. Maybe one day I'll find both! Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks again for the kind words
Post a Comment