Peter Frampton
2016-07-26
Metro Credit Union Uptown Amphitheatre
Charlotte, NC
IEM matrix Recording
320 kbps
Artwork included
01. Somethings Happening
02. Rebel Rebel
03. Doobie Wah
04. Lines on My Face
05. Show Me the Way
06. I'll give You Money
07. Black Hole Sun
08. Baby I Love Your Way
09. Do You Feel Like We Do
10. Four Day Creep
11. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Peter Frampton - 2016-07-26 - Charlotte NC (IEM Matrix)
2016-07-26
Metro Credit Union Uptown Amphitheatre
Charlotte, NC
IEM matrix Recording
320 kbps
Artwork included
01. Somethings Happening
02. Rebel Rebel
03. Doobie Wah
04. Lines on My Face
05. Show Me the Way
06. I'll give You Money
07. Black Hole Sun
08. Baby I Love Your Way
09. Do You Feel Like We Do
10. Four Day Creep
11. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Peter Frampton - 2016-07-26 - Charlotte NC (IEM Matrix)
When I decided on this month's theme of Guitar Gods, one of the first posts I picked out was this IEM Matrix recording of Peter Frampton from July 26, 2016, just a year ago today. After all, the 1976 album Frampton Come's Alive came from out of nowhere to take the music world by storm. With songs such as Baby I Love Your Way, Show Me the Way, and the mammoth 14 minute long, Do You Feel Like We Do, which featured Frampton's distinctive talk box guitar, Frampton Comes Alive climbed to the top of the Billboard Charts, sold over 6 million copies, and was voted album of the years by readers of Rolling Stone. The album was so popular that it was still in the #14 position in the charts at the end of 1977, almost 2 years after its release. Yet despite all that success and notoriety, Peter Frampton was not included on either Rolling Stones' 2003 or 2011 lists of the top guitarists of all time. I say the heck with the lists - Frampton earnes guitar god status for creating an album that came to define rock and roll in the mid 1970's. FM rock stations began to play more album oriented rock (AOR), as Frampton's album and other similar work came to be called. Other bands attempted to copy Frampton Comes Alive, but unfortunately the results were usually excessive, over produced, and downright boring. Other rebelled against the AOR sound and movements such as disco, punk and new wave emerged. All that, from 1 album. If you want to read more about the impact of Frampton Comes Alive and the dramatic changes in music in 1976, pick up the book, I Hate New Music, by Dave Thompson.




2 comments:
Always happy to get more Frampton. I didn't know he had started doing "Rebel Rebel", but it makes sense as he and Bowie went to school together and years later Frampton played on the Glass Spider tour. Years ago a friend really stumped me with a trivia question: what song did both Frampton and Bowie record covers of?
.
.
.
.
the answer is...
.
.
.
"Friday On My Mind"
Just for the curiosity of listening to this version of Rebel Rebel... And agree he is one of the guitar masters of Rock. Thank you for sharing
Post a Comment