Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, July 7, 2017

The Who - 1970-07-07 - Lenox, MA (SBD)

The Who
1970-07-07
Tanglewood
Lenox, MA
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

CD 1:
01. Bill Graham Introduction
02. Heaven And Hell
03. I Can't Explain
04. Water Introduction
05. Water
06. I Don't Even Know Myself Introduction
07. I Don't Even Know Myself
08. Young Man Blues Introduction
09. Young Man Blues
10. Tommy Introduction
11. Overture
12. It's A Boy
13. 1921
14. Amazing Journey
15. Sparks

CD 2:
01. Eyesight To The Blind
02. Christmas
03. Acid Queen
04. Pinball Wizard
05. Do You Think It's Alright?
06. Fiddle About
07. Tommy Can You Hear Me?
08. There's A Doctor
09. Go To The Mirror!
10. Smash The Mirror
11. Miracle Cure
12. I'm Free
13. Tommy's Holiday Camp
14. We're Not Gonna Take It
15. See Me Feel Me
16. My Generation Introduction
17. My Generation
18. Bill Graham Outro
19. Bill Graham Closing Remarks

The Who - 1970-07-07 - Lenox, MA (SBD)

Breaking it, Smashing It, Windmilling It - what didn't Peter Townshend do with a guitar. (Ok maybe burn it but that's a story for another Guitar God in another post). Townshend played a cross between rhythm and lead guitar, propelling The Who's music to thundering crescendos.  No better example of his and the band's power can be found than in today's post from a place that at one time was as far from a rock and roll venue as can be imagined. Nestled in the scenic Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts, Tanglewood had long been an iconic home to classical music when in 1969, famed rock promoter Bill Graham decided to bring rock and roll to venue.  At the time, this was an unheard of decision, a veritable worlds collide moment. The Who and Jefferson Airplane played the venue on August 12, 1969, and Graham was so pleased with the results that he scheduled more shows at Tanglewood in 1970.  Santana, Miles Davis, Jethro Tull, Chicago and a return engagement by The Who highlighted the 1970 summer rock schedule at Tanglewood.  In fact, the Who's performance, on July 7, 1970, 47 years ago today, has become the stuff of legends.  It was the last night of their US Tour, and just 5 months after performance which became the album Live at Leeds, which critics to this day cite as one of the finest live albums ever recorded.  Some of those same critics think the Tanglewood show might have been even better.  From the dramatic opening notes of Heaven and Hell to stellar performances of tunes from Tommy to a gut wrenching My Generation, which borrows from Neil Young's recently released Cinnamon Girl, to end the night, The Who demonstrate raw power and musical artistry all in one captivating and compelling package.  Download this soundboard recording of that night and see for yourself.



15 comments:

Coop said...

I live only 40 minutes from Tanglewood and saw JT there this last weekend.(Great Show) Now I get to relive a beautiful performance from The Who from the same beautiful venue, Steely Dan is the next rock show coming to Tanglewood, this summer. Thank you kindly, Sir Speedster, as always.
~Coop

Anonymous said...

Awesome show. Rates right up there with the classics Live at Leeds and Isle of Wight. Thanks again!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh MAN this is so good... and this is making me think I SHOULD go see Roger Daltrey doing Tommy live this summer... I was going to pass, b/c there's no Pete there, but this boot is making me reconsider that's probably a mistake... count me in!

Anonymous said...

I was at that show @ Tanglewood on Aug. 12, 1969. I was 16 y.o. and working as a dishwasher at a summer camp near Stateline and I don't remember how I got a ticket but I ended up in the reserve seat section. BB King opened up the show and, if I remember correctly, it was in the middle of the week sometime (tuesday?) so it was even more fantastic to see those 3 incredible acts on one evening!! It was the only time I got to see the Who and I remember Daltry swinging that microphone way out over the audience's heads. The bands were all coming into the area to play Woodstock but, unfortunately, my family and I had other plans and, very soon (the next day perhaps?), i left camp and went back to NYC where on the weekend of Woodstock we were on the plane to the USSR! I remember reading about Woodstock in the papers while we were flying over the Atlantic!! Bummer! But I didn't miss Watkins Glen, darnit!!!
Ron Dovzak
Flagstaff, AZ
Beautyanddabeast@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I've never been a huge Tommy fan but this show has made me a believer

Anonymous said...

This is an outstanding quality boot. So many thanks for this. Young Man Blues is my new favorite.

You are a gem.

GML

Anonymous said...

Can someone post a filefactory link for this incredible show?
Thank you

speedymjb said...

New link is up! enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you speedymjb!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Could you please re-up this one also? Tony from England

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks once again. Tony

Daren said...

Can't wait to hear this - LOVE The Who

Anonymous said...

Hi -- can you re-up this one? thanks!!!

speedymjb said...

new link is up - enjoy

Post a Comment