Coming Attractions

From August 1 to 8, we'll bring you:
Marshall Crenshaw, Blondie, Bruce Hornsby, the Allman Brothers Band, Los Lobos, Van Morrison, Greg Kihn, The Bangles, Paul McCartney, David Crosby, and Rockpile!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 18, 2023

Southside Johnny - 1977-09-18 - Youngstown, Ohio (SBD)

Southside Johnny 
& The Asbury Jukes
1977-09-18
Tomorrow Club, 
Youngstown, Ohio
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. This Time It's For Real
02. Got To Get You Off My Mind
03. Without Love
04. Fannie Mae
05. I Can Tell
06. Love On The Wrong Side Of Town
07. She Got Me Where She Wants Me
08. Little By Little
09. It Ain't The Meat (It's The Motion) 
10. I Choose To Sing The Blues
11. The Fever
12. I Don't Want To Go Home
13. Havin' A Party
14. You Don't Know Like I Know
15. Stagger Lee


When Bruce Springsteen took the rock world by storm in 1975, he opened the door for other Jersey Shore acts to try to hit the big time. Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes are probably the 2nd best known band from that era. Their first three albums, I Don't Want To Go Home (1976), This Time It's For Real (1977), and Hearts Of Stone (1978), were filled with Stax R&B influences. All 3 discs were produced and arranged by Steve Van Zandt, the group's co-founder, who also played guitar in Springsteen's E Street band. Van Zandt's tune, I Don't Want To Go Home, became Southside's signature song, an evocative mixture of horn-based melodic riffs and sentimental lyrics. The band's repertoire also included The Fever, Talk to Me, This Time It's For Real, Love on the Wrong Side of Town, a wonderful cover of Sam Cooke's Having A Party, and the definitive version of Springsteen's Hearts of Stone. Unfortunately, Van Zandt left the band in 1979, and they never did achieve national prominence. That said, Southside and the Jukes have always been fantastic live performers, as evidenced in this soundboard recording from September 18, 1977, 46 years ago today.




0 comments:

Post a Comment