Coming Attractions

From August 7 to 14, we'll bring you:
Paul McCartney, David Crosby, Rockpile, Squeeze, the Neville Brothers, Neil Young, Blues Traveler, Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia, Katrina & The Waves, U2, Joan Jett, Bob Dylan, and The Pretenders!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Bob Dylan - 1969-08-31 - Isle of Wight, UK (SBD)

Bob Dylan 
& The Band 
1969-08-31
Isle of Wight Festival, 
Isle of Wight, UK
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. talk 
02. She Belongs To Me 
03. I Threw It All Away 
04. Maggie's Farm 
05. Wild Mountain Thyme 
06. It Ain't Me Babe 
07. To Ramona 
08. Mr. Tambourine Man 
09. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine 
10. Lay Lady Lay 
11. Highway 61 Revisited 
12. One Too Many Morning 
13. I Pity the Poor Immigrant 
14. Like a Rolling Stone 
15. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight 
16. The Mighty Quinn [Quinn the Eskimo] 
17. Minstrel Boy 
18. Rainy Day Women No. 12 and 35 

LINK REMOVED OFFICIALLY RELEASED

Incredibly, as half a million gathered for an Aquarian Exposition on Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, Bob Dylan was actually living in Woodstock. He hadn't performed live since his near fatal motor cycle accident in 1966. Promoters offered him a headlining spot to make his comeback, but Dylan declined. Some sources claim it was because his son fell ill.  Others say that Bob was tired of the growing numbers of "hippies and druggies" gathering near his home. Whatever the reason, Bob passed on Woodstock.

Ironically, while the organizers of Woodstock couldn't get Dylan to play live in his own backyard, the promoters of the Isle Of Wight Festival enticed him to cross the pond with tales of the island's cultural and literary history. So, just two weeks after Woodstock, Dylan, backed by The Band, took the stage for a 17 song set, as captured in this soundboard recording.  Also on the bill were Woodstock veterans The Who, Joe Cocker, and Richie Havens. Dylan's appearance drew over 150,000 to the festival, not only for his coomeback, but also because rumors abounded that he would be joined on stage by The Beatles!  In truth, 3 of the Fab Four - John, George, and Ringo - were in attendance, but simply as fans. 

NOTE: As of Sept 2 at 4:30, a new link is up for this show. The original upload was missing track 15.  I found it elsewhere, though at only 160 kbps.  I added it to the folder and added a new link to the fixed folder, which now includes the lower bit rate track 15.  




10 comments:

Jim said...

Thanks for the show (I only have the audience source) and for clearing up about the Beatles. I heard a bunch of rumors: the Beatles were going to be in the final song; they were sitting right at the front staring at Dylan. Too bad Paul couldn't make it. If they joined him, it would take the spotlight off Dylan. I'm glad Dylan uses his Nashville Skyline voice for this show.

Derek said...

On a Sunday morning, why not listen back to this historical concert ! Thanks for updating me. I will have a good listen at decent volume.

swappers said...

Thanks for this Speedy I have real poor quality versions of this so will try it. For your Info: the selection of mirrored download sites are being really weird this morning, the ONLY one that could do it was Gofile, Not Mediafile, (which you know I use regularly ) no Turbo, no Onefichier, no Filefactory no Mega up nor any of the others I have used before. Thought I should let you know but it IS weird! Hope that is helpful!?! Eeeek!

swappers said...

P.S. sorry had to come back to just say they is the BEST version of the Isle of Wight concert I now have in my collection. If there is anyone who doesn’t have a listenable version of this legendary indispensible concert and lets face it there are legion of poor poor vinyls and boots, then THIS IS IT! Fanx Speedy

speedymjb said...

Thanks for all the good feedback on this one!!

speedymjb said...

By the way - regarding the links - i think its because its Dylan - his team is notorious for policing the web and wiping out links to his shows

Silvio said...

Unfortunately, track 15 is missing. Can you fix it? Thanks in advance.

speedymjb said...

The original source was missing track 15 but I found it elsewhere - a lower bit rate but it sounds good. A new link is up for the whole show, including the added track 15. Enjoy!

swappers said...

Forgive me if I am being irritating but think you must be right about His Bobness and to get the track 15 I revisited and none of the mirrored links would work EXCEPT Kraken (which I do use regularly) which worked like a dream. Delivered REALLY fast! Hope this is of use or at least interest. So appreciate all you do Speedy and have shared the update link on my lil blog, Bestests as always

speedymjb said...

Thanks for the feedback. Dylan links have been problematic since this blog launched 15 years ago - see old posts about Web sheriff!

Post a Comment