Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, February 2, 2025

Bruce Cockburn - 1992-02-02 - Toronto, Canada (FM)

Bruce Cockburn
1992-02-02
Command Performance
Glenn Gould Studio
CBC Broadcasting Centre
Toronto, Canada
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Program Introduction
02. A Dream Like Mine
03. Lovers In A Dangerous Time
04. Rocket Launcher
05. Rumours Of Glory
06. Mighty Trucks Of Midnight
07. Interview
08. People See Through You
09. Program Epilogue


Bruce Cockburn was born in Canada in 1945, and established a strong following in that country after he began his musical career. He didn’t have much impact in the US until 1980 when his single, Wondering Where The Lions Are, went to #21 on the Billboard charts. His 1984 album Stealing Fire, produced the well know singles Lovers In A Dangerous Time and If I Had A Rocket Launcher. While I owned that disc, I soon lost touch with Cockburn’s music, moving on to other bands. I reconnected with his material, however, in the early 1990s, thanks to Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir. At a concert at Madison Square Garden in November 1991, I heard Garcia play a wonderful tune called Waiting On A Miracle. Knowing it wasn’t a Jerry original, I did some research, and lo and behold, learned it was written by Cockburn about the revolution in Nicaragua. Then in July 1992, I saw Cokcburn lead in for Bob Weir at the Meadowlands Summerfest (a fancy name for a stage and seats set up in the parking lot at Giants Stadium). Cockburn's set ran the gamut of his career, and he joined Bob for the encores of Spoonful and The Weight. This FM broadcast captures Cockburn on his home turf in Canada about 6 months before I saw him live, on February 2, 1992, 33 years ago today.




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for this share. Btw, in the intro / outro they say the venue is Manta/Eastern Sound and being broadcast on Toronto station Q107. Also, they acknowledge sponsors which would not appear on CBC radio.

Post a Comment