Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 13, 2025

Dead Links, Download Hosts, and Re-Post Requests - Oh My!

Often times, new visitors to So Many Roads ask why numerous old posts have dead links. The answer is simple.  First, given that we have over 5000 shows posted on this site, it is next to impossible to keep all the links active, That would be a full time job and nothing new would get posted. Second, and maybe more important,  the free download hosts that I use simply do not store files for more than 30 to 60 days. And believe me, I have tried countless ones over the year -  from the original Megaupload to Zippyshare to Sendspace to Workupload to Solidfiles to our latest, Mirrored.to.  All have their pro's and con's, but none that I know of keep free files for more than 1 or 2 months day.

If you want to store files for longer, then you have to pay.  And that is simply not happening.  My wife already says this blog takes up too much of my time. She sure as hell isn't letting me pay monthly cloud storage fees.  And even if cost wasn't an issue, paying for storage doesn't mean all links will always stay active. Pay services usually limit how much data you can store in the cloud and may even limit how often a file can be downloaded. And they can cancel your service - deleting all your files and links - at any point if they think you are violating their terms of service.  That just happened to a fellow blogger a few months ago.

All that said, if you are looking for a re-up of a show, feel free to leave a request in the comments section of the post. We have a formal re-post policy here at So Many Roads (see sidebar) which really consists of just 2 things:
  1. Please be polite when you ask for a re-post.  Leaving a coment like "Dead Link" is a statement of fact, not a request. I really do appreciate a "please" or a "thanks in advance" as part of your request. A little kindness goes a long way.
  2. Please don't ask me to re-post every show by a particular artist. Remember, you're not the only person asking. I can handle requests for a a show a week (and you are welcome to come back the next week and ask for another, etc.), but if you are asking me to re-post dozens of dead links, I simply won't be able to handle that.
I hope all the above helps!  Remember - be kind and enjoy the tunz!


6 comments:

Gman said...

Thanks very much for explaining what you have to deal with in order to provide us all with so many fantastic bootlegs! You certainly have more than enough links to juggle at one time on this site. You are so right that a little kindness goes a very long way. But I can't believe your wife things it's taking too much of your time. Doesn't it keep you busy and out of her hair? LOL! Thanks for everything, G.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your generosity of time and materials. You deserve to be treated well and with respect.

bd said...

Speedy, you are the man! 'Roads is the go-to, we all know it. Good post, I could almost feel the tension, letting us know your wife has her view on your hobby, passion here really. And I get, understand that, completely.
Also, abd I know it's not the first time to raise it, but some folks indeed have lost perspective. You're putting out lots of energy to keep 'Roads running, you're not going to put up much, and shouldn't, with folks who don't, I guess we'll put it, 'don't have manners'. No, sir.
Well, I for one appreciate all you efforts.
Keep on keepin' on!

speedymjb said...

@BD, Gman, and everyone else who has commented - thanks for the kind words and support

Anonymous said...

Hi; I'll be your best friend if you RE-UP Further 2010/08/14. Thank You. Sincerely, Dean

speedymjb said...

New link is up - go to the posyt and you'll find it working. Enjoy!

Post a Comment