Bruce Hornsby
& The Range
1986-09-02
The Bottom Line
New York, NY
FM Broadcast.
192 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Jacob's Ladder
02. The Way It Is
03. The Long Race
04. Mandolin Rain
05. Piano Solo
06. The Red Plains
07. I Know You Rider
08. Every Little Kiss
09. The River Runs Low
10. The Wild Frontier
11. On The Western Skyline
12. Till The Dreaming's Done
13. Down the Road Tonight (fade out)
The fiirst time I saw Bruce Hornsby was May 10, 1987 at Laguna Seca Racetrack in California. Bruce was leading-in for the Grateful Dead, the band he would eventually join in 1990 in the wake of the death of Brent Mydland. Until recently, I always felt that the Laguna Seca show was the start of the relationship between Bruce and the Dead. Bruce even played the Dead's I Know You Rider as part of his set that day. Then I came across this FM broadcast of Hornsby at the Bottom Line in NY on September 2, 1986, 26 years ago today. The Bottom Line was one of New York's legendary night clubs, a place where legends were born (see our August 15, 1975 Bruce Springsteen post), surprises abounded (see our May 16, 1975 Neil Young post) and career's relaunched (see our November 1, 1978 Van Morrison post). The Bottom Line was also a place where many artists gained their first national exposure, thanks to WNEW-FM's live broadcasts, such as this Hornsby concert. Hornsby's Bottom Line appearance took place just a few months after the release of his smash debut album, The Way It Is. He played all 9 songs from that disc as well as I Know You Rider, months before Hornsby met the Dead at Laguna Seca. Maybe he had a premonition about the future! In any event, download this one to get a peak at an artist as he's just starting on the road to stardom.



2 comments:
Nice one here Speedy! Bruce is alright by me.
dead link please help thanks
Post a Comment