Grateful Dead
with Branford Marsalis
1991-09-10
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY
Soundboard Recording
192 kbps
Artwork Included
1st Set:
01. Shakedown Street
02. C.C. Rider >
03. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
04. Black-Throated Wind
05. High Time
06. Cassidy
07. Deal
2nd Set:
01. Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower
02. Estimated Prophet >
03. Dark Star >
04. Drums >
05. Space >
06. Dark Star (Reprise) >
07. I Need A Miracle >
08. Standing On The Moon >
09. Turn On Your Love Light
Encore:
01. It's All Over Now Baby Blue
Entire show with Branford Marsalis
LINK REMOVED - OFFICIALLY RELEASED
In the fall of 1987, the Grateful Dead played Madison Square Garden for 5 nights, a reflection of the band’s new wave of popularity in the aftermath of Jerry Garcia’s recovery from a diabetic coma, the release of the album In The Dark, and success of the single Touch of Grey, including the unique video for the tune featuring marionettes of the band members, that received extensive airplay on MTV. The band had never before played more than nights at the World’s Greatest Arena. From then on MSG became their home away form home in September, including 9 night runs in 1988 and 1991, and 6 night stands in 1990, 1993 and 1994, (Note – in 1989 the band played 5 nights at the Byrne Arena in NJ as MSG was under construction and in 1992 they cancelled the entire fall tour due to Garcia’s health issues.) Since I was living in NY at the time, I attended almost every one of those shows, as you can see if you check out the My Concerts page on this blog. I’ve already posted the September 18, 1987 show on this blog as it just may be the best Dead show I had the privilege to attend. Today, I’m posting another MSG classic I was fortunate enough to be at, a soundboard recording from September 10, 1991, 21 years ago today. The Dead were playing exceptionally well in 1990 and 1991, bolstered by the addition of Bruce Hornsby on keyboards, who helped inspire and drive Garcia to be at his best. This show also features a special guest, the one and only Branford Marsalis, on saxophone. With Marsalis on board, the night takes on a jazzy feeling, with some stunning improvisational moments, especially during the Help > Slipknot > Franklin’s Tower segue and the Dark Star jams in the second set. Deadbase rates this as the best Grateful Dead show of 1991 and I heartily concur. Download this one and see for yourself!



3 comments:
Wow!! Thanks Speedy. Back around 1994,I got an audience tape (Maxell XLII) of the 1st set. I lost it several years ago. Now the whole show as a SBD! Great choice.
hey Jordan - glad you like! This is a classic! Enjoy!
Sa-Weet Thanks
Post a Comment