Grateful Dead
1978-09-02
Giants Stadium
East Rutherford, NJ
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
CD 1:
1st Set
01. Jack Straw
02. Friend Of The Devil
03. New Minglewood Blues
04. Dire Wolf
05. Looks Like Rain
06. Stagger Lee
07. I Need A Miracle
08. Peggy-O
09. Lazy Lightnin' >
10. Supplication
CD 2:
2nd Set
01. Good Lovin'
02. Scarlet Begonias >
03. Fire On The Mountain
CD 3:
Set 2 (continued)
04. Estimated Prophet >
05. Eyes Of The World >
06. Drums >
07. Space >
08. Sugar Magnolia
Encore
09. One More Saturday Night
Grateful Dead - 1978-09-02 - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ (SBD)
Go west from Manhattan through the Lincoln Tunnel, hop on Route 3, and you’ll soon find yourself in East Rutherford, NJ, home to the Meadowlands, a huge piece of swampland that’s been turned into a sports and entertainment complex. Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands opened in 1976, and served as the home of the NY Football Giants, and later the New York Jets, until it was torn down in 2009 to make way for Met Life Stadium. Giants Stadium hosted its first concert on June 25, 1978, headlined by The Beach Boys and Steve Miller. On August 6, 1978, Aerosmith, Journey and Ted Nugent played the venue. I was able to attend concert #3 on September 2, 1978, 49 years ago today, featuring The New Riders, Willie Nelson and The Grateful Dead. We had general admission tickets on the stadium floor, meaning you found an empty space, set up your blanket and hung out. The day was brutally hot but fortunately they had plenty of hoses to spray down the crowd to keep us cool. The Dead’s performance was filled with high points, especially the Good Lovin > Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain to open the 2nd set, but was cut rather short. Just 1 song after the drums, then a quick encore and they were gone. Some say they had to finish up early so the parking lots could be cleared for the crowd arriving for night time races at the adjacent horse track. Others claim that they needed to head out early as their next stop was the Pyramids in Egypt, where they played 3 shows in October. Still others say that Garcia got annoyed with security hassling him about smokng a joint.



10 comments:
Much appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks!!
I did go to this show but the only thing i remember about it was at the very end while people were streaming out, they had a sign up on the video screen that said something to the effect of "Next Stop: The Pyramids!!" I thought that was pretty cool even though I don't remember much of the show itself.
A few years later, in late 1980 into the spring of '81, I was hired on as a Postal worker at a processing plant on the Lower West side on the Night Shift. I found myself sitting on a stool all night with trays of mail in front of me and pigeon-holing the letters, barely able to keep my eyes open as I got into the wee hours. I happened to notice that some of my co-workers had these little tape players with these little ear phones and they didn't seem to have any problem staying awake! One of them let me listen for a bit and WOW!! What Sound!! Right in my ear!! And I was wide awake! It just so happened that it was around the same time that I started collecting Dead tapes, too. So, with my first paycheck, I purchased my very first 'Walkman' and I never had a problem staying awake after that!! And one of my newest tapes was an Audience of 9/2/78 II Set and boy, what an absolute rocking Good Lovin' > Scarlet-Fire that I always used to wake me up if my eyelids started drooping!! Thanks for this SBD! I'm really looking forward to it!!
Ron in Flagstaff
I know that the list seems long, but I would be forever in your debt if this could be re-upped, (at your convenience of course).
My thanks
new link is up. enjoy!
dead link please repost
new link is up! enjoy!
Please re-post. Thank you.
New link pleeeeeeezzzzzeee!!!
new link is up! enjoy!
Post a Comment