Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Allman Brothers Band - 1971-09-19 - SUNY, Stonybrook, NY (SBD)

Allman Brothers Band
1971-09-19
State University of New York
Stonybrook, NY
Soundboard Recording
128 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Statesboro Blues
02. Trouble No More
03. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
04. Done Somebody Wrong
05. One Way Out
06. Blue Sky
07. Stormy Monday
08. You Don't Love Me
09. Dreams
10. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

LINK REMOVED - OFFICIALLY RELEASED

Some times when I'm doing research for these posts, I learn something new about the band, or one of their albums or songs. Other times, I gain new insight into what was transpiring in the music world at the time of the concert covered in the post. Every now and then, I learn something new about the venue where the show was held. This is one of those posts where the concert location takes center stage. I had mentioned in an earlier post (Jefferson Airplane from 1970-05-01), that SUNY Stony Brook in Long Island NY was a hot bed for rock and roll concerts in the early 1970s. Yet despite having written those words, I don't think I fully understood what they meant until I started doing some research on this Allman Brothers show. In addition to this concert on September 19, 1971, 41 years ago today, the Allmans played Stony Brook 3 more times that summer and fall July 10, July 26 and October 23. Can you imagine 4 opportunities to see Duane, Greg and the entire Allman's contingent in 6 months at small college campus right outside New York City? I'm betting prices were under $5 a ticket! Oh well, if we can't bring back those intimate shows at bargain basement prices, at least we can still enjoy the incredible music, by downloading great bootlegs such as this soundboard recording! This 10 song included nearly 20 minute versions of Dreams and In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, as well as an over 25 minute take on You Don't Love Me. This show is also significant because just over a month later, on October 29, Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident. Download this soundboard recording, therefore, to hear one of the last live performances by the legendary guitarist and founder of the band.



3 comments:

Paul said...

Hey Speedy,

Just thought you would want to know that this Allman Brothers show is a commercial release available for sale through their website.
http://www.hittinthenote.com/cart/p-83-allman-brothers-bandbrsuny-at-stony-brook-nybr91971brclick-here-for-song-samples.aspx

I know you are diligent in not posting thing like this. Keep up the great work.

speedymjb said...

Paul - thanks for the heads up. Checking that now. If it is a commercial release, I'll take down the link.

Anonymous said...

The only live SBD of Blue Sky with Duane. Love it.

Post a Comment