Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, February 1, 2014

February's Theme At So Many Roads

With January now in the books, it's time to unveil our theme for February 2014 at So Many Roads. We had so much fun last month, that we're going to do it again as we bring you Same Tour, Different Show. As part of our Same Tour, Different Show theme, we’ll post shows from almost 20 different artists, with special focus on Eric Clapton, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead, with 4 or more shows from each of those artists.

It all starts tomorrow - Enjoy the tunz!

20 comments:

Jason said...

Five superb Zeppelin soundboards from February 1975. :)

speedymjb said...

I only have 4 but 1975 it is!

speedymjb said...

Jason - your comment made me go searching and lo and behold, I found the 5th soundboard! So now all 5 will be part of our February theme!

Jason said...

So now I'm curious which one you didn't have.

For me, the '75 tour is Zeppelin at their peak. For some, the setlist may not have enough "depth," but No Quarter, The Song Remains the Same, Rain Song and Over the Hills had matured from the '75 tour, Dazed was exceptional, and the tracks from Physical Graffiti were breathtaking.

The Feb. 12th show in NYC and the last '75 show in London were always neck and neck to my ears as THE greatest Zeppelin show (or, perhaps more accurately, bootleg). I finally concluded a couple years ago that the 5-25 show is superior, if only for that magical "tight but loose" performance that only Zeppelin could deliver. But the Feb. 12 show is just a whisker away.

Probably more than you wanted to know!

Anonymous said...

Agree that the zep was awesome in 75 and the band as a whole was at their peak, if only Robert's voice had been what it had been in 69 thru early 72 then it would have been perfect. the physical graffiti material fortunately did not require him to have to hit all the high notes though. As for what was their greatest concert, their are so many, two come to mind , coppenhagen 71 and la forum 72, just my opinion, have fairly good boots of both shows both audience unfortunately, How the west was won the official release is unfortunately another fraud with all the banter between Robert and the audience removed. even read where they used two different performances to create one track [HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE } and added a melletron from a show the following year to Stairway. If it says official release then you can more than likely assume that it has been tampered with, only trust bootlegs. Right Speedy?

Anonymous said...

I had heard that Plant injured his voice sometime in late 72 while touring in Europe and instead of resting it as he was advised to do , The band kept touring because of contractual obligations, his voice was much different after that even though the band was still great. On the 73 US tour you can really hear the change as during some shows he is really struggling , He sounded much better in 75 but still nowhere near how he sounded in the late 60s early 70s

Jason said...

Yeah, I have Burn That Candle from the Long Beach show in '72...I think that's the night. Robert's chatter is classic. The amalgamation of tracks on HTWWW is....interesting, to say the least.

Jason said...

Oh, in my longer comment above, I meant of course that the mentioned tracks had matured since the '73 tour....

Anonymous said...

Burn the candle, classic bootleg, Why couldn't Jimmy have just released that LA Forum show in its entirety minus edits , overdubs, and missing songs, would have been simple as he had the soundboard tapes. No tinkering was nessasarry.

Anonymous said...

Jason, I thought Burn the candle was LA FORUM 6/25/72 Long Beach was on the 27Th two days later , maybe you could clear that up Long Beach also a great show but LA forum on the 25th was the best show of the tour

Jason said...

Yes, L.A. Forum, not Long Beach. Sorry, I was relying on my memory.

In his book "Led Zeppelin: The Concert File," Dave Lewis quotes Robert from a 1988 interview, saying "15 years ago I had an operation on my throat and couldn't speak for three weeks." But Dave reports that he has no other record of an operation.

He did sound great in the early '70s, but the older I get the less patience I have with most Zeppelin audience recordings. For example, it's probably been 8 or even more years since I listened to Burn that Candle. Guess I'm spoiled by the good stuff. Too bad there aren't more soundboards from the '71-'72 tours.

Anonymous said...

Jason , I totally agree, you get spoiled by all those great 1975 soundboards, as for the earlier shows some soundboards that come to mind are Paris theatre 4/1/1971, Orlando Fla 8/31 1971 , also if only there were soundboards available for coppenhagen 1971 as that I believe is the only show that they ever performed four sticks and gallows pole, and also a 71 concert from Japan from 9/29/71 in which I believe is the only time that they ever performed Friends live. Do you agree with me that Jimmy should have just released the 72 LA Forum show unedited instead of all the studio tinkering he did for HTWWW. big pet peeve of mine

Anonymous said...

Jason, try and check out Paris Theatre 4/1/1971 also Orlando Fla from 8/31/1971 both soundboards. two other shows that I wish were soundboard were Coppenhagen 5/3 1971 as that I believe was the only time that they eve performed four sticks and gallows pole live, also Osaka Japan 9/29/ 1971 where they perform Friends for the only time. Do you agree with me that Jimmy Page should have just released the complete unedited soundboard from LA Forum instead of the way he released HTWWW with all the edits missing songs ecc?

Jason said...

Jimmy is a perfectionist, so I suppose it's not a shock that he did HTWWW the way he did, but I think just using the Forum show would have been best.

I have Paris Theater and the Orlando shows. Pretty good stuff. Interesting to my ears how the '75 soundboards have a clarity that most soundboards from '73 and '77 don't. I assume that comes down to equipment.

Anonymous said...


Jason, sometimes less is more when it comes to live music. You see how good all those Zep boots sound from 75 which proves that you don't have to do all of that studio enhancement , those performances stand out on their own. Jimmy could still have mixed the tapes and cleaned any distortion without adding instruments and overdubbing vocals in the studio. Actually not having Robert's back and forth with the crowd is my biggest complaint with HTWWW, especially after you've listened to all the great bootlegs out there


Jason said...

Oh yeah, Robert's chatter is usually a plus, and is one reason I'd label 5-25-75 as the top Zeppelin bootleg. It's just a gas! Charles Shaar Murray, wherever you are, keep taking the pills.

Anonymous said...

How about have a qualude with water / Long Beach 3/11/1975

Anonymous said...

How about Robert saying to the crowd , Have a qualude with water following their 75 long beach show CLASSIC. you would never hear that on an official release

Anonymous said...

Jason , if you are still out there, from one zep fan to another. heard you mention earls court 5/25/75 as being your favorite show from 75, what is your opinion of the show from the 24th one day earlier

Jason said...

Actually...there's a small irony there. I would probably only rate "Going to California" and "That's the Way" from 5-25 as "best ever" performances, and those were not performed often. In contrast, I have long thought No Quarter and Dazed and Confused from 5-24 were flawless, unbeatable, all-time great performances. But taken as a whole, the vibe, the added encores, the sheer joy of the 5-25 performance does it for me.

Post a Comment