Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
1974-08-08
1974 Reunion Tour
The Night Nixon Resigned!
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City NJ
Audience Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
CD 1:
01. Love The One You're With
02. Wooden Ships
03. Immigration Man
04. Long Time Gone
05. Traces
06. Grave Concern
07. Black Queen
08. Pre Road Downs
09. Old Man
10. Teach Your Children
11. Deja Vu
12. First Things First
13. Don't Be Denied
CD 2:
01. Cowgirl In The Sand
02. Prison Song
03. Almost Cut My Hair
04. Military Madness
05. Ohio
06. Carry On
07. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
08. Chicago
Perhaps no night in the band’s long and storied career was more historic than than concert on August 8, 1974, 4 decades ago today. CSNY had been fierce opponents of the Nixon Administration and its policies, especially in regard to Vietnam, from the minute he became president. As mentioned in my June 6 post, Neil Young’s song Ohio placed blame for the tragedy at Kent State squarely on the President. Stephen Stills had targeted Nixon and Agnew in his tune America’s Children, an extended version of For What It’s Worth that expressed his dissatisfaction with the policies of the government. Graham Nash’s Chicago, subtitled We Can Change The World, with its references to the 1968 riots in Chicago, was yet another political statement by the band. Moreover, David Crosby wrote 2 of the great protest anthems of the 1960’s in Long Time Gone and Almost Cut My Hair. Without a doubt, CSNY had become one of the leaders of the rock community’s opposition to the war in Vietnam. Their concerns and suspicions regarding the Nixon administration were proven all too true at 9:01 pm that night, when the president resigned his office effective the next day in the wake of the Watergate scandal. Stills announced the change by dedicating Love The One You With to Gerry Ford, who took over as president. For CSNY, their political mission was accomplished. Perhaps that’s one reason why the band broke up for almost 25 years after this tour – they no longer had a vital cause to hold them together. In any event, while it’s not the best of recordings, I had to post this one because it commemorates a pivotal moment in our country's history. Download it and relive that moment for yourself.

22 comments:
I was there that historic day. A buzz ran thru the old stadium all day. When the announcement was made from the stage that Nixon had resigned, a roar went up from the crowd and, despite the insane crowding that later forced the band to cut short their acoustic set because they couldn't hear themselves over people yelling sit down and move back, someone down front managed to parade back and forth with an American flag held aloft.
Just 2 days earlier I had been at the same stadium for one of the best Grateful Deads I ever saw in 30 years of Dead shows.
Quite a week.
Gummo - Thanks for sharing your personal recollection of that day. Amazing times.
i was at both those shows, also saw brooklyn dodgers play there as a very young child...site has now become society hill, a gated community of jersey city..no hill in sight, on the scenic hackensack river
Thanks a lot speedy!
This (site) is so fine! A truly important task perfomed with insight, skill and care. Thank you so much, friend!
Thanks for the kind words.
yeah, i was there also! I'm downloading the show as I type but what I remember is that after the announcement was made (by who??), they went right into Long Time Gone! I guess i'll find out how good my memory is!
ron in flagstaff
You think they could, would, should do that today? Yes, no and definately. Freaking pansies!
I was there as well. I remember the announcement quite well, although being the Crosby fan I am, I somehow attributed it to him. But it was quite an amazing night. Within just a one year period I saw the Dead play there with the Band opening, then Clapton, then CSNY, And I never went back after that. Thank goodness all of those shows can be found right here! Way to go Speedy!
Thanks Alan for the kind words. Enjoy the music and keep coming back!
Please, please repost this show... I've been trying to find it anywhere... want to hear the announcement to the crowd that Nixon resigned. Historic stuff. Thanks!
My pleasure! New Links are up! Enjoy the history!
Thank you!
new link is up! enjoy!
Hi Speedy! I sure would love to hear this, but the link is down. Would you please repost this when you get a chance? Thanks! :)
New link is up - enjoy!
Thanks Speedy! I can't wait to hear it. Enjoy your vacation!
Man, you are incredible! So much music, and you keep track of it all and write about it all! I'm amazed, can't even handle a grocery list myself.
It looks like I got here too late to hear the recording, unless that was the wrong link, right after the set lists.
No problem, I got to see it and hear it, all then and there at Roosevelt Stadium. I only wish I could remember it better! RIP David Crosby, I think he sent me here. For him, I will keep my Freak Flag flying forever. Problem is, it stopped growing decades ago, and now I see it getting thinner and thinner til it floats away in fine tendrils of mist...
Thanks for bringing the music, now I don't need Netflux anymore. Peace & Rhythm!
~ Sam
@Sam TG - new link is up. I'm jealous you were there for this - what a night! Thanks for the kind words. And if you like all the things I write, check out my book, Ten Rules Of The Road I Learned At My First Concert - link in the sidebars.
Far out, thanks, Speedy! Still amazed at how you keep meticulous track of this World. I've got some boxes of cassettes in the closet, about 200lbs of 'em, could you sort them out for me? I'll give you an OZ of primo gold, hardly any seeds and stems…
Seriously, thanks for bringing that show out, I believe the correct phrase is: You done me a solid man, I owe ya big time!
Hello Speedy, would you please repost this show again? I missed it. Thanks very much!
New link is up - enjoy
Post a Comment