Today would have been my dad's 81st birthday. He passed away a little over 2 years ago. In his memory, I'm re-posting what I write just a few days after he left this earth:
Nine days ago, my dad passed away from complications from a difficult surgery. He would have been 79 this August. The viewing and funeral were held this past Wednesday and Thursday, 2 events that were both a final celebration of a life well lived and a time of sadness for all those who knew him. In thinking about my dad, I struggled with the fact that while I love history, no history book will ever record the events of his life. We record for posterity the sagas of presidents and poets, of actors and musicians, of heroic leaders and horrific dictators, but the lives of men like my dad are deemed “ordinary” and no book will document his accomplishments. Such a shame, because my dad was far from “ordinary”.
Though my dad was only 8 when he lost his father so he had no role model growing up, he somehow became an extraordinary father, who always put the needs of his wife, children and grandchildren before his own.
He was a devoted husband, who married his childhood sweetheart, loved her with all his heart, and remained by her side until his death, faithful to the end in an era where divorce has become commonplace.
Though he had never gone to college, he raised 2 children who both attended Ivy League universities, and his grandchildren appear to be on the same path.
While my sister and I will always cherish our educations, no college ever taught us more important lessons than my dad did, lessons that family comes first, that giving to and helping others is the highest calling, that work ethic is the key to success and that no goal is unattainable if you dedicate yourself to it.
He adored his grandchildren, and spending time with them, being silly with them making them laugh, and showing them what family truly means.
He was a great boss at work, helping those who worked for him not only move their careers forward, but also live better lives. My wife and my sister’s husband never thought of him as an “in law”, but as their 2nd father, a man who treated them as if he raised them himself. (And, of course, they feel the same way about my Mom).
Every close friend my sister and I ever had referred to him as “Dad” (and of course, called my mother “Mom”) because he treated them as if they were family.
Hundreds showed up for the viewing on Wednesday, so many that we overflowed the room and spilled into the hallways and outside. That was the moment that I realized it didn’t matter if the history books ever recorded my dad’s life. It didn’t matter because he would be remembered in a much more important place - the hearts and souls of every person he ever touched.
I love you dad, and I’ll miss you every day of the rest of my life, but I’ll make it through because I know you’ll be with me always, in my heart and my soul, guiding me as you always have. Thank you for teaching me all that you did, especially the value of a life well lived.
The Eagles Live - Re-Post Folder
-
In our continuing series of folders containing re-posts of live shows
previously shared on this blog, today, we bring you a folder of The Eagles.
Grab them...

15 comments:
Your father sounds like he was a great man - and he will not be forgotten by anyone who knew him.
R.I.P Dad
Thanks for the kind thoughts staffie. Much appreciated, my good friend
Beautifully put Speedy, you were blessed with a great dad.
Clearly not enough people like your dad on this planet. Nice re-post!
Wow, that is a powerful testament to what sounds like a great family man and example to live by. Thanks for sharing, speedy, and sending consolations on the anniversary of his passing.
Good Parents just like good people in general are sadly not as prevalent as generations past, look at the divorce rate today as opposed to the 50s 60s and even 70s, Family values generally speaking have gone into the toilet. Many homes today have no Father present . a lot of kids have no role model growing up anymore. Many young men today think its cool to have many children with different women while the taxpayers and the system try to take care of them. Lost both my parents before age 12 so cant totally relate but your dad sounds like the kind of man that everyone would have been better for having known. Sorry for your loss, he sounds like one in a million, take care
I agree, very good post. I was always close to my dad, but never really appreciated him until the final years of his life, (while I was a relative pup in mid-40's).
I don't know if this is possible, feasible or appropriate, but how about a post or review of music that he liked, as a tribute?
awesome......and as someone else said, "beautiful".......
i know he's proud of you!
gmb
Nice words for your dad...he tells you the joy of sharing....music with others...peace for him and all your friends and relatives and thanks to you for this marvelous blog
This is a very moving tribute to a great person. Thanks for sharing it!
I suspect that no Dad is " Ordinary ".
I have recently lost mine.
He was unique, as was yours. For different reasons.
Your Father had reason to be proud of his son.
You have touched many people ( including me ) with your sharing of music, but you have touched me me even more with your words about your Dad. I hope you had the chance to let him know how you felt about him.
All the best for the future.
To everyone who left a note - my thanks to each of you for your kindness, your support, and your condolences. The lessons my dad taught me you demonstrated with each word you wrote. Thanks for keeping his memory alive and for helping me make it through a tough day.
You are definitely fortunate to have had the kind of relationship all people yearn to experience with their parents....that's what is missing from the family units today. I myself had the good fortune to benefit from two other "parental" figures, outside of my own "worldly guides" It's up to each of us to respect the opportunities "given" at birth...and live our lives in continual admiration of them. Your moving tribute tells me, you've done that very thing. Good luck to you and your loved ones in everything you do....Those of us who "know" are always with you. IF YOU REMEMBER,......THEY ARE NEVER FORGOTTEN..........
I'm attending a celebration of life today for my wife's Grandfather, I lost my own Dad two years ago to brain cancer. Both were great men and losing them both hurt deeply. Reading your words made me cry, you put things in perspective. I love what you do on your site, Your Father raised a great son and I'm sure he was very proud. Within two days of losing my wife's grandfather Johnny Winter died one of my idols needless to say it was a tough week. As Johnny said: Keep on rock 'n' a rolling don't ever settle down, keep my records playing all the time, spend your money on my concerts every time I come to town, and maybe you can be a friend of mine!
Johnny Kinkdom sez: As I get ready to accompany my youngest to her freshman year at college, you note made me think of her 2 grandpas, both of whom left this world too soon. How proud they both would be to see her now, just as I am. May the spirits be with you and yours always, Speedy.
Post a Comment