Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, February 15, 2016

Van Morrison - 1973-02-15 - San Anselmo, CA (FM)

Van Morrison
1973-02-15
The Lion´s Share
San Anselmo, CA
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Inlcuded

Early Show:
01. Since I Fell For You
02. I've Been Working
03. Into the Mystic
04. Caravan
05. I Just Want To Make Love To You
06. Hard Nose The Highway
07. St. Dominic's Preview
08. Hey Good Lookin'
09. Everybody's Talking
10. Help Me

Late Show:
01. I've Been Working
02. Wild Children
03. St. Dominic's Preview
04. Listen To The Lion
05. Since I Fell For You
06. Misty
07. The White Cliffs Of Dover
08. Caravan
09. Hard Nose The Highway
10. I Just Want To Make Love to You


In May 1973, Van Morrison launched a 3 month tour of the US and Europe, accompanied by with his legendary backing band, the Caledonia Soul Orchestra. Music historians often label these shows as among the finest of his long storied career. Even the fickle Morrison seems to agree, having said at the time that “I am getting more into performing. It's incredible. When I played Carnegie Hall in the fall something just happened. All of a sudden I felt like 'you're back into performing' and it just happened like that...A lot of times in the past I've done gigs and it was rough to get through them. But now the combination seems to be right and it's been clicking a lot.” The concert performances were described by writer Erik Hage as "sequences of a young soul lion whipping the crowd into a frenzy and then stopping on a dime—teasing out anticipation, rushing, receding, and coaxing every drop out of his band." The tour produced the album Its Too Late To Stop Now, which critics have hailed as one of the finest live discs ever recorded. Of course, on the heels of that success, in typical Van fashion, he abruptly went in a different direction, disbanding the Caledonia Soul Orchestra just 3 months after the tour ended. Our post today, however, goes back 3 months before this historic tour, when Van played 2 warm up shows at the Lion’s Share in San Anslemo CA. This soundboard recording captures both of those performances on February 15, 1973, 43 years ago today. Download this one to hear Van the Man at his peak.



9 comments:

arcadian said...

Thanks for this, speedy, a wonderful set of a great time to hear VM.

dugg said...

Truly a golden era in for Mr. Morrison- great rep, great tunes, great band and for a few months anyway, a good attitude towards his own music and live performance.
"Too Late..." has been one of my favourite recordings - live or otherwise - for many years, but there are some songs here that weren't on it, so i'm looking forward big time to hearing this.
thanks for the opportunity!
d

http://soundseen.blogspot.ca/

scottn said...

can you please RE-POST this show..

thanks for all you do
love this blog!!!!

speedymjb said...

new link is up! enjoy!

Taylor said...

WOW - can't wait to hear this. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Out of all the VM shows I have, this is my absolute favorite. It's worth noting that Vince Guraldi is on piano for this show - one of his final performances. Thanks for this, Speedy.

Anonymous said...

thanks for ALL the great music!

Anonymous said...

```````hi missed this one,looks great,any chance of a repost please? TIA

speedymjb said...

New link is up - enjoy!

Post a Comment