Grateful Dead
1978-12-17
Fox Theater
Atlanta. GA
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
1st Set:
01. Jack Straw
02. They Love Each Other
03. Mama Tried >
04. Mexicali Blues
05. Peggy-O
06. tuning
07. Passenger
08. Stagger Lee
09. New Minglewood Blues
10. Brown Eyed Women
11. The Music Never Stopped
2nd Set:
01. tuning
02. I Need A Miracle >
03. Bertha >
04. Good Lovin'
05. Ramble On Rose
06. From The Heart Of Me
07. Estimated Prophet >
08. Eyes Of The World >
09. Drums >
10. Ollin Arageed Jam >
11. Shakedown Street >
12. Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
01. Johnny B. Goode
1978 - In the lore of the Grateful Dead, 1978 has always been a year that receives mixed reviews. As regular readers of this blog know, 1977 was THE YEAR for the Dead with a run of shows that may be unmatched in the band’s history. So, 1978 has always founds itself in the “tough act to follow” position. In truth, the Dead’s playing in 1978 wasn’t quite at the same level as the prior year. For example, their 3 shows at the Pyramids, while historic in terms of the setting, did not feature the band's finest musical moments. Their performance at Winterland on New Year’s Eve, however, is the stuff of legends. My own Dead experiences from 1978 reflect the same dichotomy. On the one hand, I saw them on May 10 and 11 in New Haven and Springfield, 2 shows that were so good they were officially released as Dick’s Picks Volume 25. On the other hand, I attended their September 2 performance at Giants Stadium, the last show before they headed to Egypt, and the band was clearly not firing on all cylinders. That said, when the Dead were good in 1978, they were very good, maybe as good as they were in 1977. This soundboard recording from December 17, 1978, 43 years ago today, captures the band on in fine form at the Fox Theater In Atlanta, especially in the 2nd set with a great triplet of I Need A Miracle > Betha > Good Lovin' to open, a wonderful Estimated > Eyes before the drums and a rare combo of Shakedown Street > Sugar Magnolia to close it out, By the way, the band was back on the road in December after having to cancel 5 shows in late November as Garcia was suffering from laryngitis, which had first reared its ugly head during a nationwide radio broadcast of their concert from the Capitol Theater in Passaic on November 24, 1978. I had missed out of tickets to that one, but called the box office day of the show to see if ant last minute seats were available. The guy who answered the phone said no, but told me if could come up with some "coke" (not the kind you drink) and bring it to the box office, he'd find me a seat! Needless to say, I wound up listening (and taping) the show on the radio!



1 comments:
Greetings from New York City.
I recently stumbled across your wonderful website, and I can’t believe how many of the same NY/NJ shows we’ve both seen! I'm wondering if you could please post a new link for the Grateful Dead - 1978-12-17 - Atlanta. GA show? This one of my favorite Dead shows, long story short: I had this show on a CDR, lent it to a “friend”, and never saw it again.
Many thanks in advance.
Warmest Regards,
Babs
Post a Comment