Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Jorma Kaukonen - 1978-02-04 - San Francisco (SBD)

Jorma Kaukonen
1978-02-04
Old Waldorf
San Francisco CA
Soundboard Recording
160 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Come Back Baby
02. Trial By Fire
03. Another Man Done Gone #1
04. Watch The North Wind Rise
05. Police Dog Blues #1
06. Let Us Get Together
07. Sea Child
08. Another Man Done Gone #2
09. Genesis
10. Water Song
11. Whinin' Boy Blues
12. Police Dog Blues #2
13. Killing Time In The Crystal City

Encore
14. Mann's Fate


Once folks knew I was into the Grateful Dead, they swore I had to see Hot Tuna (and former Jefferson Airplane) guitarist Jorma Kaukonen. So, my buddies and I made a trip to Asbury Park, NJ on July 14, 1979 to see Jorma play electric. To put it mildly, I just wasn't all that impressed. What I didn't find out until years later was that I should have tried to see Jorma play acoustic. Songs such as Hesitation Blues, Genesis, and Watch The North Wind Rise showcase Jorma's unique voice and guitar skills when played acoustically.  Those attributes reflect his folk rock and blues roots, making this post a perfect fit for this month;s folk rock theme.  roots, Unfortunately, I never have gotten a chance to catch Jorma (or Hot Tuna) do an acoustic show. This soundboard recording, however, from February 4, 1978, 34 years ago today, will give you a excellent feel for Jorma's prowess on acoustic guitar.



5 comments:

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

Love some of Jorma's solo stuff. And saw him in Chicago awhile back so thank you.

Anonymous said...

perhaps at tut's?

THAT show, XRT broadcast and i listened to it a ton!
the damned c-90 is here somewhere....along with the solo acoustic himmelman that knocked me on my ass.

rocdoc

Anonymous said...

Thanks Speedy!

You can never get enough Jorma!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Crocko Link still works --I was ignoring them since ~90% were dead but this one is still up so I am going back through all the MirrorCreatot posts again (and a Bruce one too that got me started) - I'll try to check back on that one and update that post.

Thanks again. Cheers
The Brooklyn Kid In Exile In Binghamton

speedymjb said...

new link is up! enjoy!

Post a Comment