Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, January 2, 2016

How We Choose What We Post At So Many Roads

Over the 6 plus years we've running So Many Roads,, I’ve gotten numerous questions on how we choose what to post. I’ve also gotten several requests for certain bands or types of music. Given all that, I thought I’d take a minute to explain how we decide on what to post. I consider 3 things in deciding what bands/concerts to post at So Many Roads:
  1. Sound Quality: Basically, no show gets posted unless the sound quality is top notch. Over 90% of what we post at So Many Roads are soundboard or FM broadcasts. When I first started this site 6 years ago, I took the advice of Tunzmaster Dino, from the legendary D&P’s Bootleg Tunzworld, that no one wants to hear a show that sounds like it was recorded in your bathroom with the water running.  Sound quality is king. While we have increased the number of audience recordings over the years, we do our best to make sure they sound great. Occasionally, maybe 1 or 2% of the time, we’ll post a less than great sounding show for historical or sentimental reasons, but 9 out of 10 times, if not more, we’re bringing you a soundboard or broadcast quality show.

  2. The Date: Given that this blog has evolved to feature a this date in history” approach, the show we post each day has to be from that day! So, if its November 22, then we’ll find a concert from November 22 from some year between 1955 and today. When you see posts such as Concerts From Today in history or some other type of announcement, it means I couldn’t find a show from that day that I felt was worth posting.

  3. My Taste In Music: In the end, I post shows that feature music I enjoy. You see lots of shows at So Many Roads from the Grateful Dead, The Beatles, CSNY, Eric Clapton the Allman Brothers, etc. because that’s what I listen to every day. I’m not a fan of heavy metal, grunge or progressive rock, so you don’t see any posts from bands that play those styles of music. I like the blues, but in small doses, which is why you only get occasional posts from artists such as Muddy Waters, Robert Cray or Stevie Ray Vaughn. I’m into live music, not studio outtakes, so you’ll see very few of the latter type of posts here at So Many Roads. I know that my musical tastes may differ from others, which is why I link to sites such as JustDave’s Place, where you can often find music I may not post. By the way, the number of times I post a band ousually reflects how much I enjoy their music but not always. You’d see far more Beatles posts, for example, but unfortunately, there are far too few high quality concert recordings available. Same goes for The Band from the Robbie Robertson era, Rockpile and Derek & The Dominos, just to name a few.
Hope all the above helps. Thanks for visiting So Many Roads and enjoy the tunz.

5 comments:

La Piazza Gancio said...

No complaints on my end!

Earl said...

Your posts are always so well chosen - cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Speedy for all that you do, your blog and others enable old timers like me to somewhat re live our youth as we remember a much better time when great music was mainstream and everywhere unlike today where you have to look very hard to find good new artists as media prefers to promote the junk rather than the good stuff, Also on the topic of soundboard vs audience recordings. While a soundboard can sound clear and nearly perfect some lack the atmosphere of a good audience recording by master tapers like Dan Lampinski ,Steve Hopkins, Mike Millard and Mr Peach to name a few, Many of their recordings sound better than soundboards , Some of the really good audience tapes are The Rolling Stones Hawaii shows from jan 21, 22 1973 Led Zeps LA forum shows from 75 and 77 all taped by Millard as well as the Stones 75 forum shows also by Mike the mic. Lampinskis Pink Floyd show from Boston 6/18/75 and the Neil Young Shows from Japan in 76 all taped by Mr Peach so a taper who knows what he is doing can really provide a great sound but like you i have heard some crappy ones as well like you are in the 100th row underneith an airport so it does work both ways.

CORVODOWLOOAD said...

legal..muito bom......

Anonymous said...

Another great audience is Led Zeps Burn like a candle, from the LA Forum 6/25/1972, they play for three and a half hours and are at the top of their game, many of these performances made up how the west was won but although the sound was great, The show was edited and Roberts crowd banter was edited out, not sure about overdubs but it woudnt suprise me, prefer the bootleg over the official everytime

Post a Comment