Santana
1981-07-04
Cape Cod Coliseum
Cape Cod, MA
FM Broadcast (WBCN-FM)
256 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Radio Introduction (Scott Muni)
02. All I Ever Wanted
03. Primera Invasion Searchin'
04. Tales Of The Kiliminjaro
05. Black Magic Woman
06. Gypsy Queen
07. Well All Right
08. Europa (Dedicated To John McEnroe)
09. E Papa Re
10. Savor
11. Jingo
12. Winning
13. Incident At Neshabur
14. Bass Jam
15. Soul Sacrifice
16. Open Invitation
17. She's Not There
18. Dragon Song
19. The Sensitive Kind
20. American Gypsy
As mentioned in my Allman Brothers post, I saw Carlos Sanatan live at the Crackdown on Crack Concert on October 31, 1986. The first time I saw Carlos, however, was on July 7, 1981, I saw Carlos Santana in concert for the first time. I was about a month removed from college graduation, and enjoying a summer off before starting business school in the fall. My buddies and I were going to see Carlos at a new outdoor concert venue that John Scher had opened, the South Mountain Arena in West Orange NJ. When we arrived, we found out that it wasn’t quite an Arena. In fact, it wasn’t quite an Amphitheater or Hall or an Arts Center or anything quite so fancy. It was…. THE SIDE OF A HILL. Yep, Mr. Scher, who above all knew how to make a buck, rented space in a large park, put a stage at the bottom of a hill, put up fences to keep out anyone without a ticket, and created a concert venue. I guess it’s a little late for me to complain, especially since I bought to tickets to several other shows at South Mountain that summer. All issues with the venue were forgotten once Carlos hit the stage. He played a blistering set, featuring songs from his latest album Zebop, as well as a host of classics. We had gone hoping that Carlos would play Open Invitation, and he delivered. You, see, when I was in college, a cover band called Yasgur’s Farm usually played Open Invitation to close their shows, which in a beer induced haze, probably sounded way better than it really was. In any event, that sort of became a theme song for my group of friends. Finally hearing Carlos play it was one of the highlights of my concert “career”.
While I couldn’t find a bootleg of the South Mountain show, I did find this FM Broadcast from a few days earlier, July 4, 1981, 35 years ago this very day. from Cape Cod. The set list is about the same as the show I attended.
While I couldn’t find a bootleg of the South Mountain show, I did find this FM Broadcast from a few days earlier, July 4, 1981, 35 years ago this very day. from Cape Cod. The set list is about the same as the show I attended.




16 comments:
I'm listening to this now. Incredible!
Thanks.
Enjoy! Carlos really is amazing!
Thanks speedy. This is the 1st time I've added a 1980s Santana show to my collection. Much appreciated!
My first Santana show was in Burlington,VT on 10-2-91. Memories are a bit hazy due to the Lysergic nature of the evening. But at that show I really understood what makes Carlos special.
Thanks Speedy. Can't get enough of Carlos when he's cookin'. Interesting write up too. I liked Inner Secrets a lot. Bit underestimted by many in my opinion. Still play my vinyl copy now.
Thanks all for the kind words. Normski -- I'm a big fan of inner secrets as well. Have it on my IPOD!
I saw Santana in France for the same tour. A great souvenir... thanks
Hi could you re up this? Links are dead
New link is up! Enjoy!
New link is up! Enjoy!
Hey Speedy,
Could you re-up when you get a chance? Looking forward to it.
new link is up! enjoy!
That's crazy when you mentioned "Yasgur's Farm", because the band their lead guitarist (Lenny Molinari(?) was in before "Yasgur's Farm" was a bar band we would watch during summers at the beach called "Salvation". He was/is an excellent guitarist!
Small world! Glad I could bring back some memories!
speedy - possible for a re-up on this - Thanks
NEW LINK IS UP - ENJOY!
Thanks speedy, really appreciate it! I'm on a Santana kick ~ not a bad place to be.
Post a Comment