Jimi Hendrix
1968-08-23
NY Rock Festival
Singer Bowl,
Flushing, Queens, NY
Very Good Audience recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Are You Experienced?
02. Fire
03. Red House
04. I Don't Live Today
05. Like A Rolling Stone
06. Foxy Lady
07. Purple Haze > Star Spangled Banner
08. Hey Joe
09. Wild Thing
NY Rock Festival
Singer Bowl,
Flushing, Queens, NY
Very Good Audience recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Are You Experienced?
02. Fire
03. Red House
04. I Don't Live Today
05. Like A Rolling Stone
06. Foxy Lady
07. Purple Haze > Star Spangled Banner
08. Hey Joe
09. Wild Thing
One of the most iconic memories of Woodstock is that of Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner as [art of his set to close the festival. Of course, Jimi wasn't playing for a crowd "half a million strong" but rather about 20,000 folks who remained at Bethel on Monday morning. The festival had run so long that most folks were gone before the legendary guitarist took the stage. One other note - this wasn't the fist time Jami played our national anthem in concert - it had actually become a regular part of his set list. For example, he played it at this show, as well as at both shows at the Royal Albert Hall in February 1969.
This very good audience recording captures Jim about a year before Woodstock, in Flushing, Queens in New York City, 51 years ago today. While the sound quality isn't up to our usual standards here at So Many Roads, I'm posting this show for 2 reasons. First, how can you have a month dedicated to Woodstock without a show from Jimi. Second, in 1968, I was living in Flushing, just a subway stop away from where this show was held, in Flushing Meadows Park, site of the 1964 Worlds' Fair and now home of the US Tennis Open. Of course, I was all of 9 at the time and had no idea about Woodstock or Jimi, though I most certainly did know who the Beatles were!



4 comments:
i remember that sometime right after Woodstock that i was outside for a Led Zeppelin show in Flushing Meadow Park and the concert was being held at the NY State Pavilion (the one that was at the end of "Men In Black"!). I bet thats where this show was also.
beautyanddabeast in Flagstaff
Yes it was!
Thank you for the Guitar King!!!!
Gerd - a friend of mine and now almost 70 years old..... - saw Jimi on his last concert here in Germany on the "Love & Peace Festival" in Fehmarn, on September 6, 1970.
What a historical moment!
I was 6 years old back then.......
@Frank thanks for all the kind words across several posts!
Post a Comment