The Band
1973-08-01
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Back To Memphis
02. Lovin' You
03. The Shape I'm In
04. The Weight
05. Stage Fright
06. I Shall Be Released
07. Don't Do It
08. Endless Highway
09. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
10. Across The Great Divide
11. This Wheel's On Fire
12. Life is A Carnival
13. Share Your Love
14. Up On Cripple Creek
15. Chest Fever
16. The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show
17. Saved (from 31 July 1973)
We brought you the Dead at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City earlier today to kick off the month, now we bring you The Band's opening set from the very same day, August 1, 1973, 47 years ago this very day. The Band's performance, as captured in this soundboard recording, probably surpasses their set at Watkins Glenn in both quality and intensity. By the, It's amazing how many great shows took place at the now torn down Roosevelt Stadium. In addition to The Dead and The Band, The Allman Brothers, CSNY, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, YEs and The Eagle, just to name a few, also played legendary concerts at that venue.
The Band/Jerry Garcia Connections
- The Band & The Grateful Dead played at two of the most famous rock festivals in history, Woodstock in August 1969 and Watkins Glen in July 1973.
- As mentioned in today's posts, the two bands played on the same bill at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City on July 31 and August 1.
- Three years earlier, in the summer of 1970, The Dead and The Band, along with Janis Joplin and Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, participated in the Festival Express, a train tour across Canada that was detailed in a 2003 documentary film. In the 1990’s,
- Rick Danko of The Band sat in with The Dead during their 3rd set on December 31, 1983, while all the members of The Band joined the Dead for the encore on June 21, 1984.
- The Dead added The Band tune the Weight to their set lists in the 1990s, often playing the song as an encore.
- After they reformed in 1983, sans Robbie Robertson, The Band served as the lead-in band for the Grateful Dead on about a half dozen occasions, including what turned out to be the Dead’s final show on July 9, 1995 at Soldier Field in Chicago, just a month before Jerry Garcia’s death.



17 comments:
Thank you for the Band and the Dylan-Band shows!!
man, l lived in jersey city and saw many many shows at roosevelt stadium, including this one (and watkins glen)..thanks
Thanks a lot speedy! This show took place on Jerry Garcia's 31st birthday,too.
the links seems to be dead...
btw, keep up your fantastic rock historic work =)
/ t s
new link is up! enjoy! thanks for the kind words!
First of all thank you for an awesome site for many exceptional concerts. Is there a link for the Allman Brothers Band at Watkins Glen in 1973
You're welcome! Sorry but I don't have the Allmans set from Watkins Glen.
Speedy - i just noticed this one and a great set list and if you could repost i would appreciate
Thanks and have a Great Labor Day weekend
new link is up - enjoy!
Thanks, I went to Watkins Glen. This brings back memories. Have a nice day. jimg.
@jimg - wow - you went to Watkins Glenn - amazing! You have quite a musical history!
Woodstock, Watkins Glen, a ton of shows at the Boston Tea Party ,the Ark, & the Fillmore East. I saw most of the great groups of the 60's & 70's. Back when tickets were less than $5.00, & they played for hours. James Taylor lived next to a friend of mine on Martha's Vineyard. He would come over for cook-outs, & always played. Now, I'm old, can't pass a hearing test, have arthritis from the neck to the toes, & have 9 grandchildren. But, I'm still on top of the grass!
@jimg - man that's a life well lived! Rock & Roll will never die!
Thanks speedy .. I was at the show at Roosevelt the night before this one. A great show with the Dead. You mentioned the 1974 CSNY show at Roosevelt. I was there too. The crown went nuts whee it was announced that Nixon would resign the next day. .... hugh
@hugh - wow - you were at some memorable shows! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for this one. I also saw them at Watkins Glen. Ironically; I lived in Jersey City at this time and did not go because I had just seen them at Watkins Glen. Roosevelt Stadium was great for concerts, the tore it down and put up Townhouses, inspired I guess by Joni Mitchell.
Like Jim; I also went to the Fillmore East and was there for many live albums. Derek & Dominoes, Allman Bros. , Humble Pie , Johnny Winter, and 2 from Wolfgang's Vault. Johnny Winter in Oct. 1970 and Santana on 4-3-1971. Plus I found a couple of bootlegs I was at. Fillmore East was the GREATEST place for concerts, saw the Dead there and was at the Nov. 1970 show you see bootlegged.
Wow - thanks for sharing all teh stories!
Post a Comment