The Band
(Rick Danko, Richard Manuel)
with Paul Butterfield
1984-09-19
Lone Star Cafe
New York, NY
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. The Shape I'm In
02. CC Rider
03. It Makes No Difference
04. Walking Blues
05. My Baby Left Me
06. You Don't Know Me
07. I'm Just Your Fool
08. Long Black Veil
09. Chest Fever
10. Blaze Of Glory
In June 1983, some 6 ½ years after the Last Waltz, The Band reunited. Well, at least 4/5 of the original group did, as Robbie Robertson choose to follow his own path. Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson and Richard Manuel played a series of small clubs in the summer of 1983, followed by a short run of shows in Japan in August, after which they launched an extended East Coast tour in the fall. The reunion was deemed a success, and the quartet went back out on the road in early 1984, playing almost continuously until September of that year. This soundboard recording captures The Band near the end of that run, on September 19, 1984, 35 years ago today, in New York at the Lone Star Cafe. As mentioned in numerous other posts, the Lone Star would become a home away from home for The Band in the 1980s and 1990s. Download this one, then come back later today for part 2 of this entry, featuring the late show



2 comments:
Thanks for this one - I can't tell you how many times, over the years, I saw Richard & Rick play - some nights they were a duo - some nights a trio (like this one with Butterfield) a few times it was Richard, Rick & Levon - once, on a cold winter's night in Ardmore - Garth joined Richard and Rick for a particularly memorable show - sure it was taped and hope it surfaces eventually. I remember, can't think of the year, for one short while Richard, Rick and Butterfield were doing gigs with a band - saw them at a field in/at The University Of Pennsylania - listening to this one now (and have had it for years but this seems to be the best quality - Thanks - and that's par for so-many-roads...thanks for all your work) and, again, find myself thinking how sad things ended for, in this case, all 3 of the artists. All that's left are memories of these 3 and, for me, the regret that The Band played their last waltz in 1976. Thanks again - and I'll be back later today!!!
I agree - too manyy sad endings - but the music is timeless.
Post a Comment