Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Rolling Stones - 1965-09-13 - Hamburg, Germany (SBD)

Rolling Stones1965-09-13
Ernst-Merck-Halle
Hamburg. Germany
Soundboard Recording
320 Kbps
Artwork Included

01. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
02. Pain In My Heart
03. Around And Around
04. Intro Mick 
05. Time Is On My Side
06. I'm Moving On
07. Charlie announced  'The Last Time'
08. The Last Time
09. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
10. I'm Alright
 

A year after the Beatles entered the Rock Hall, the band often thought of as the 2nd greatest of all time, The Rolling Stones were inducted. The 1989 class also included The Temptations, Dion, Otis Redding and Stevie Wonder. An interesting note - when The Beatles were elected, Mick Jagger made the induction speech. Then when the Stones were inducted, Pete Townshend of The Who made the induction speech. The next year, 1990, The Who would be inducted. So, it almost seems as if the torch passed from the first to the 2nd to arguable the 3rd greatest rock band in history. I know fans of Led Zep or Pink Floyd may argue those rankings but it does make a nice story with a neat bit of symmetry. In any event, this soundboard eroding captures the Stones in their early days, in Hamburg on September 13, 1965, a half century ago this very day.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any Led Zep fan or Pink Floyd fan who would argue with those ratings is a moron; you wouldn't have either Zep, nor Floyd....especially Zep....without the Beatles and the Stones. I love Zep, been listening to them my whole life.....but they're the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll. A+ for execution, B- for originality.

Thanks for this historic recording!!! Haven't heard it before!

speedymjb said...

Thanks for the kind words. I try not to get into debates over the best band ever as everyone's taste is different.Do I think the Beatles, Stones and Who are 1, 2 and 3 in that order. Yes, at least on 1 and 2. That said, I can see arguments as to why others might move Zep or Floyd into that #3 spot. You can look at 10 different lists, fsuch as ones published by Rolling Stone, Spin, VH1, etc. and you'll get 10 different sets of rankings.

I just thought it was cool that Mick inducted the Beatles, then Townshend inducted the Stones.

Unknown said...

Thanks Speedy!! a great Stones show from 1965. you don't see that too much!

Timmy said...

Look, HERE'S the correct order of greatest bands:
#1: Grateful Dead
#2: JGB
#3: NRPS
#4: DNB
#5: Mothers Of Invention
#6: Frank Zappa
#7: Capt. Beefheart
#8: Beatles
#9: Who
#10: Hot Tuna

Post a Comment