Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Neil Young - 1978-10-01 - Toronto, Canada (Ex Aud)

Neil Young
& Crazy Horse
1978-10-01
Maple Leaf Gardens
Toronto, Canada
Excellent Audience Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

CD 1:
01. Intro
02. Sugar Mountain
03. I Am A Child
04. Comes A Time
05. Already One
06. After The Gold Rush
07. Thrasher
08. My, My, Hey, Hey (Out Of The Blue)
09. Intermission
10. When You Dance I Can Really Love
11. The Loner
12. Welfare Mothers

CD 2:
01. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown
02. The Needle And The Damage Done
03. Lotta Love
04. Sedan Delivery
05. Powderfinger
06. Cortez The Killer
07. Cinnamon Girl
08. Like A Hurricane
09. Hey, Hey, My, My (Into The Black)
10. Tonight's The Night


CANADA - June 1979. I was home from college for the summer between my sophomore and junior years. I was hanging out in the air conditioning at home, trying to stay cool, listening to WNEW-FM. As the clock struck 2 pm, Scott Muni, one of WNEW's legendary DJs, started his customary afternoon shift that day with the following words: "This is the new one from Neil Young". With that, the house shook as the opening notes of Hey Hey, My My (that's the electric version) thundered and snarled from my stereo speakers. Neil's voice filled the room with the anthemic chorus of "rock and roll can never die". Five minutes later it was over, and I was in the car, on the way to Tower Records to purchase the album, Rust Never Sleeps. The disc was an instant classic, its acoustic and electric sides serving as counterpoints to one another, as did the opening My My, Hey Hey and the electric companion sited above. In addition to those 2 tracks, the album featured now legendary tunes such as Thrasher, Pocahontas, Powderfinger, Welfare Mothers and Sedan Delivery. Of course, in typical Neil fashion, he had been playing those songs in concert well before he released them, and in fact, many of the tunes were recorded live at a 1978 show from the Cow Palace in San Francisco. This high excellent recording is from that same tour, in Toronto on October 1, 1978, 4 decades ago today. Download this and you'll know why Rust Never Sleep.



9 comments:

dugg said...

Thanks so much for the chance to hear this... or hear it again actually. I was a this show with a brother who's since passed on. Memories of a good night out together- deluxe!
d

howlingwilf said...

Thanks again, both for this and your kind words in the cave, recently. This is not the appropriate place to chat, but I had to thank you.

speedymjb said...

You are very welcome my friend. Please drop by the cave. We do miss you!

howlingwilf said...

speedy, my friend, i know adh and your good self would welcome my return, but don't overestimate how many others. I'll be lurking in the shadows, and can always reach you here, never fear. Take good care.

speedymjb said...

And Pig Street, And Roburquque and many more would be glad to have you back. If you believe you offended someone, than an heartfelt apology should turn the tide. And if it doesn't. then it is the one who fails to accept is not living up to the principles we established in the CAVE, not yourself.

howlingwilf said...

It's more complicated than that, unfortunately, but this is not the forum to get into it. I want to give myself time. I need to have things straight in my own mind, plus there have been snide remarks from certain quarters that don't inspire confidence. Hey, I'm not dead, just 'resting' and there are those I've learned to value and that's a bonus! BTW, maybe this comments section doesn't need me cluttering it up, but I really appreciate the conversation. Remain inedible, my friend ��

speedymjb said...

@howlingwilf - my good friend - you and your comments are always welcome here - no exceptions. Take your time at the CAVE and know I welcome our conversions in the comment section! Long may you run!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Speedy, for these great Neil shows, and YES, we miss howlingwilf in the cave.

-RoBurque

speedymjb said...

@RoBurque - Thanks my friend And if there are any dead links that you want me to repost - just let me know. And yes - we do miss the Wilf!

Post a Comment