On May 4, 1970, college students at Kent State University gathered to protest against the expansion of the Viet Nam War by the Nixon Administration into Cambodia. They were met by.2 companies of the Ohio National Guard. The situation grew tense, and the students refused orders to disperse, Eventually, the National Guard opened fire, killing 4 unarmed students. Nixon, who considered himself a champion of "law and order" had, in the days before the shootings, called college protesters "bums". The president had little use or respect for anyone who opposed his ideas and plans. Within days of the shootings, CSNY released the tune Ohio, with Neil Young laying the blame for "4 dead in Ohio" at the feet of Nixon and David Crosby screaming the question "how many more". The massacre did not stop Nixon from gaining re-election in 1972, In fact he won in a landslide, securing 60% of the popular vote. Two years later, he would resign in disgrace, rather than face impeachment. The Watergate scandal had brought down his presidency and revealed his true character, a man who would stoop to criminal acts and subvert the constitution to retain power.
Fast forward 50 years from the Kent State shootings, and history seems to be repeating itself, as it so often does, except it's much worse this time around. This time it is not "4 dead in Ohio", but 210,000 dead across the US, and millions more facing economic ruin, as the COVID-19 pandemic spirals out of control, with Donald Trump and his administration refusing to take the actions necessary to protect the people they swore to serve. Another "law and order" president, he has called Black Lives Matter demonstrators both terrorists and gangsters, refused to denounce white supremacists, used racist nicknames like Pocahontas to characterize opponents, degraded women, violated the Hatch Act and the emoluments clause, and called upon his attorney general to arrest political opponents, just to name a few of his countless transgressions. Trump has denied science when it comes to the pandemic and global warming. The plaque on the Statue of Liberty says "give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to be free", yet Trump builds walls and shuts down immigration, especially targeting people of color. He has weakened our ties with long time allies in Europe while praising strongmen such as Putin. The free press, a necessary ingredient for the survival of democracy, is seen by Trump as the enemy, as he has no tolerance for dissent or differing opinions. Trump refused to follow the rules of the debate his team agreed to, which is hardly surprising since he seemingly believes he is above the law, that he is king, rather than president. Trump has even been impeached for his actions, saved only by a Republican controlled Senate led by Mitch McConnell, who has become the president's chief enabler by failing to uphold the checks and balances built into our Constitution. Trump has characterized the upcoming election as rigged, casting doubt upon the fundamental principle of the right to vote. Most importantly, he has refused to commit to one of the hallmarks of our country's democracy, the peaceful transfer of power.
In the almost 11 years I have been writing this blog, I have intentionally avoided politics, making it all about the music in order to avoid any conflict or tension. Unfortunately, political discussions in this day and age have become far too volatile, People no longer seem to know how to disagree without being disagreeable. That said, the time has come for me to speak out. My comments may not be popular but this election is too important to this great nation not to take a stand. As a history major, I know that if we don't learn from the past, we are doomed to repeat it. And we cannot have another mistake like re-electing Nixon or another 4 years of Donald Trump. And in making my case, in many ways I'm still keeping to my belief that this site should be about the music. The music I love has always been a voice for change, and the artists I listen to, such as Paul McCartney, CSNY, the Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, U2, etc. have always been committed to social causes to help make this country, and the world, a better place. It's time for me to follow their lead.
In that vein, I implore you to Vote. To vote for Joe Biden. To vote for the democracy that allows me to write this post, and for you to disagree. The bullying, the name calling, the lying, the disregard for human decency - behaviors we would not tolerate in the workplace, at school, or in our own homes but some how our president is permitted to display without consequence - must end. The attacks on our constitution and the foundations of our democracy must stop. We need change, and a chance to heal as a nation, to reunite rather than divide, to ensure, in the words of our greatest president, Abraham Lincoln that "these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

53 comments:
Couldn't have said it better my friend
I couldn't agree more. We must as a nation vote straight blue down the ticket. It's not just Trump but a fully complicit senate. They are rotten and don't care about anything but getting re-elected. We need term limits for these career politicians. And we must get rid of "Citizen's United" to get money out of politics. Time to UNITE. Thanks for letting me rant and you have yourself a great year. (without Trump of course).
Amen! Thank you!!!!!
Thank you very much for saying this. Some won't like it, and that's OK - they can still enjoy your amazing musical shares and go on with life.
But this election is CRUCIAL. Critical. I early voted today, for Biden/Harris, as well as two Georgia senators and Georgia congressman, because we also need to flip the Senate.
Please, folks - if you're on the fence and don't think your vote counts, think again. Trump lost the popular vote by almost 3,000,000 in 2016, but won the election because of about 80,000 votes in a few counties in 3 states.
Vote. Vote. Vote. And EARLY! In person, if possible.
Thanks for the support. Yes some won't like this. Its a free country and they are entitled to their opinion. But the bottom line is that the Trump rhetoric - wanting to lock up political enemies, stifling dissent, racially, culturally and gender biased with overtones of certain races are superior, altering facts to support a certain viewpoint, calling the free press the enemy, etc - are the hallmarks not of democracy but of a totalitarian dictatorship. We cannot allow that to continue.
Thank you, Speedy, I agree with you completely. As you said so well, this goes beyond any normal election and is about the fate of our democracy, and whether or not we will choose a path of decency and tolerance.
Speedy, well said. "This darkness needs to change". Everyone VOTE!
This Darkness Has Gotta Give.....
Hear! Hear!
Bravo, and I hope everyone who reads what you wrote takes what you said to heart. The re-election of Donald Trump with a Supreme Court dominated by the far right would mean nothing less than the end of our Constitution. Oh, we would still have the Constitution in name, but our rights would be gone.
Vote for Biden in this election, or your vote will probably never matter again. And if you can, donate to his campaign and to other Democrats. I usually make some small donations, but this year I gave Biden $1,000.00. That's a lot of money for me, but I couldn't have lived with myself if I didn't do what I could. I've given money to Sara Gideon (running against Susan Collins) and Jamie Harrison (running against Lindsay "If you're a young African American, an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state. You just need to be conservative, not liberal." Graham) too.
Two thumbs up from across the pond. Couldn't agree more with everything you say. And thanks once more for all the great music.
Thanks for sharing this!! I totally agree. Never in my lifetime have I faced a more important election, and I will be voting for chage.
Screw whoever don't like it Speedy! Thank You Speedy for speaking up, for me it's actually a matter of life or death. I didn't read through your entire post my friend but I agree Vote For Joe Biden. I stand to lose my health insurance if The Affordable Care Act gets repealed. My cancer has grown, my Doctor wants to start treatments but is afraid to just in case Trump wins and takes away my means of paying for the treatment. Without the expanded Medicaid in Michigan I wouldn't have had Health Insurance for the past 8 years. I was an Auto Care Facility Manager for 25 years. When the economy went to crap the company took away our health dental and life insurance, bonuses, and paid sick days from us. They also cut our pay. I called an insurance agent and was hooked up with Blue Cross for the wife and I cheaply with the ACA tax breaks and discounts. When I became too sick to work I was hooked up with the expanded Medicaid/Blue Cross and was able to keep my doctors. I am fighting for my social security with an attorney which is taking forever. I've paid in since I was 16, I'm now 56 years old. I shouldn't have to fight for it so hard. I have been employed 39 years straight. So without the Expanded Medicaid in Michigan my cancer will go untreated because I won't be able to afford it.
Rosebud has a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Programing and a Bachelor's Degree in Communications. She was a Vice President at an ad agency here. She ran sweepstakes for the original American Idol, The Detroit Pistons, The Big 3 Auto Makers, gave away the replica yellow car from the Transformers Movie, and The Ford Motor Company's War Hero F250 with a matching Harley Motor Cycle and Trailer. Now she works for Dunhams Sports as a cashier. She can't find a decent job with those qualifications what the hell?
I could go on and on about the racism, the attacks on the constitutional law, the environmental rollbacks that will continue the killing of our planet. The attacks on personal freedoms of all kinds. The fact that the tax codes have actually made the owner of Amazon The USA's first Trillionare! Spell check doesn't believe the word is a word TRY IT! I could also go on about the support of White Supremacists and Malitias. They may have never have plotted to kidnap, try, convict and execute My Freely Elected State Governor for so called tyrannical policies during the pandemic. Oh yeah the PANDEMIC MORE DEAD IN ONE YEAR THAN THE IN ENTIRE VIETNAM WAR!!! CUDDLING UP TO RUSSIAN & KOREAN DICTATORS!! PISSING OFF OUR ALLIES! DESERTING THE KURDS!! I have a lot of reasons to vote against Donald J. Trump and the entire Republican Party. So Thank You For Speaking Up Speady! For All Us Citizens & The World It Is Important To Vote Against Trump! But For Me, It's A Matter Of Life And Death!
Your Friend JustDave
Well said
One way or another...
One way or another...
One way or another...
This darkness got to give.
Thanks to all for the support. I've also gotten several not so nice comments - all of which I deleted because I refuse to allow my blog to be a conduit for the hate and lies, not to mention the personal attacks and name calling, that are being bandied about. As I said above, for 11 years I have ignored politics on this blog. But this election is not about politics - its about whether we as Americans are willing to allow the a man whose transgressions exceed those of Richard Nixon to demolish, debase, and destroy the institutions, the checks and balances, and the morals that have kept us free. Democracy is fragile - our great experiment is just over 200 years old, a blink of an eye in terms of world history. Our founding fathers Knew it and agonized over how to protect our freedoms from tyranny. George Washington, who probably could have been re-elected as many times as he wanted, stepped down after 2 terms, demonstrating that a president is not a king. Donald trump has stated he deserves a 3rd term, which of course, is now unconstitutional. I have never once, until this election, asked anyone to vote a certain way. My wife and I have even cast opposite votes in prior elections. Why> because I always had faith that our system of government would handle our differences because of its set of checks and balances. But the current administration seeks to end those. The opposition should be arrested. the news media should be silenced and branded fake news". The Senate, which is supposed to impartially judge the president, instead, in the words of Mitch McConnell, "took its cues from the White House". Whistle blowers have been ousted, subpoenas have been ignored ignored, watchdog agencies have been ignored. The post office has been manipulated to suppress mail in ballots, which might favor the opposition party. If folks do not see that the trump rhetoric is far more in line with men like Hitler and Mussolini, rather than men like Lincoln, Washington, Regan or Roosevelt, my little column won't change their minds. But I still have to try and take a stand - its what my conscience, something this administration lacks, compels me to do.
Well said! I agree completely, this insanity MUST end! Vote BLUE on November 3 (or sooner if you have early voting)!
For those who have disagreed - if any of you could make a coherent argument that lays outs facts, i might post and respond accordingly. But none of you can. You criticize me for doing exactly what Trumo does - stifle debate or dissent. My post above deals in facts and historical precedent, not bluster and name calling. The only individuals I have criticized by name are Trump and McConnell, based on their own actions and own words. Yet, every response that disagrees with me has called me names ranging from stupid to ignorant to communist to moronic. Its the same tactics that the president uses - since n neither the facts or the law are on our side, we'll yell louder, call people names, falsely label them, discredit the truth as fake news, etc. I've 61 years old. I lived through the Nixon years. I know what a threat to democracy looks like. I studied history at the finest academic institution in this nation, and I know how dictators rise and democracy falls. I have voted both Democratic and Republican, depending on which person I believed would best serve our nation's interests. I have never claimed that Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are perfect. Not every plan the Democratic Party has meets all of my needs. But if you ask me which candidate believes in our constitution and the foundations of our democracy, as opposed to running over them to suit his political ambitions and stay in power, it's Joe Biden. My conscience knows he's the right choice. I'm disappointed that as a society, our standards have fallen so low that we accept behavior from our president that is unbecoming of a 5 year old, and that rather than recoil in horror at actions that make Nixon look like a prince, we find ways to justify and support item. No wonder I fear for the future of our great democracy.
I'm not american, I live in Europe and I know it's none of my business ... but hell yeah, I approve this message. Seen from where I am, this guy is a selfish maniac.
Thanks. These are extraordinary times and it's important to speak out. I agree 100% and remember well the Kent State shootings. We can't afford 4-more year, get out and VOTE!
Let me repeat - for those of you who continue to disagree by calling me names and insulting my intelligence, your responses will never see the light of day. I will not dignify that behavior. Though its hardly surprising given the example set by our current president. And lets be clear, there's a distinction between disagreeing with someone's politics and wondering if the man in charge is fit for office. I disagreed vehemently with most of the polices of both President George W and George H Bush. I was never a fan of Jimmy carter and his approach to the office. But I never, ever thought any of those me were a threat to democracy. Trump is. if you can't see that. well your entitled to your opinion but it won't get voiced here. Unlike the president, I do not have to allow for dissent. Oh wait, the president doesn't think he has to allow it either, despite our constitution!
Hey Speedy, That's what makes America great! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions without judgement! Good for you!
For those counting - the responses to my post have been overwhelmingly positive. Running 7 to 1 in support. The negative ones all are the same - condescending, threatening, name calling, gloating, accusing me of doing all the things that Trump does (its an old political game - always accuse your opponent of the very transgressions you are committing), etc. The tell me that when Trump wins, they'll gloat about it and taunt me. What else would be expected - that's what the man they chose to vote for would do. They act as if the other party wins, then they have been personally wronged and a crime has been committed. They seem to forget that the democratic system we live in is all about being able to choose our leaders, to vote our conscience, and if the people we want don't win, accepting that and trying to change it during the next election. Our president refuses to commit to a peaceful transfer of power. Mitt Romney, a conservative republican, a man from Trump's own party, is appalled by that type of political discourse. The number of prominent Republicans who have come out in support of Biden should tell you something - Colin Powell, Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, John Warner, Cindy McCain, Christie Todd Whitman, Tom Ridge, the list goes on and on. I'm sure those people probably disagree with many of Biden's policies. But they also understand that our democracy cannot continue to be led by a man who has no regard for it basic, fundamental principles. Are all of those republicans now communists and socialists and Nazi's - all names you have called me because I support Joe Biden? Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. This nation's future is on the line, and if you truly believe Donald trump, a man who cares for no one but himself, is best positioned to lead us, then I fear we ma have already lost the freedoms we hold so dear.
By the way, for those who don't see the threat Trump poses, maybe you should read this article - one of the nation’s foremost civil liberties lawyers published a book last year that powerfully described how America’s constitutional checks and balances were being pushed to the brink by a president who was consciously following Adolf Hitler’s extremist propaganda and policy template from the early 1930s — when the Nazis took power in Germany.
http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/articles/civil-rights-lawyer-details-1930s-german-rhetoric-dangerous-policies-used-today/
Much like JustDave above (whose blog I also love), I have been steadily employed for 40 years - I got my first job at the age of 13 working for my Dad's company. For basically every day since then, I've had a job, been in school, or both.
After working for a company for 27 years, they cut my job in March. All of that loyalty and I'm out on the street (along with all my similarly-senior peers around the firm). Just corporate BS to save $$$
So, now I'm without health insurance. Again, keep in mind I'm a college graduate, family man (2 sons), married for 25 years, college graduate, sang in the choir in church, literally a Boy Scout leader - and healthy - and I can't freakin' afford health insurance.
If not for the ACA, that is. The ACA saved my family's finances. That's what galls me most - the possibility it could be taken away.
So yes, speedy, write on, brother! You speak the truth, and folks are welcome to disagree and seek their great music somewhere else. This is YOUR house, and I appreciate not only what you share musically, but what you share in terms of the danger our precious, precious country is in.
I love America, and I fear for it.
Please vote for Biden/Harris, and please vote for democratic senators. We are going to need it, especially if the Supreme Court does go to a 6-3 imbalance.
Preaching to the choir in my case, but Amen all the same. I've had more than enough of the ignorance and billigerence trump's supporters spew, so I'm happy they were removed before I saw them. For those people: you can rest assured I already know what you said and I don't give a damn. Just because you have an opionon doen't mean I want to hear it. Why on earth are you following a blog like this anyway? Shouldn't you be following blogs devoted to trump, qanon, deep state conspiracies, baby eating pedophile pizza parlors, etc? Sheesh!
To those who have supported my post, my heartfelt thanks. I feel for those like Taylor and JustDave, s I know but for the grace of god, I could be in their shoes - a family man, with a wife, 2 kids in college, 2 dogs, working my butt of for over 40 years, and not knowing how i could pay the bills. That's why I had to speak out. But it has not been an easy day - the hateful bile that has been directed my way has been intense. What is scary is that people that Trump is the answer, and those who disagree, must be communists or socialists or Nazis who deserve to be tormented. I love this nation as well - why else would I have majored in American History in college and for the first time in my 61 years on this planet, I am afraid for the survival of our democracy.And that's why No matter what hate is thrown my way, I will continue to speak out, because this noble experiment in democracy is worth fighting for. And dealing with some hateful rhetoric is hardly as difficult as the challenges many of you face because of the Trump administration. Thanks for the positive vibes - they'll keep me fighting the good fight.
I also ask folks to read the words of REPUBLICAN Christie Todd Whitman and her criticism of Donald Tru,p - I never voted for her but I admire her willingness to put our NATION above the party she served for 4 decades - we need more folks like her, folks whose conscience and belief in the sanctity of our nation supersede any short term political agenda:
https://wacotrib.com/opinion/columnists/christine-todd-whitman-trump-is-the-real-radical-in-our-midst/article_28f5a516-f382-11ea-abc0-1bea653d854b.html
To those who have called me a liar about the ratio of positive to negative posts - exactly 3 people have responded negatively - of course, they each have posted time after time after time because they think the louder they yell, the more vile the language they use, the more threatening they become, that I'll suddenly say that they are right. They Incredibly, they also deny that I have the right to ask folks to vote for a candidate. They think that because I support someone other than their candidate I should be rounded up and arrested. Incredible how they don't see that those sentiments are ones of a dictatorship, not a democracy. But why would they, - their candidate has trampled the ideals of democracy. Please remember that the Republican Party at this year's convention did not adopt a platform. Nope - not a single plan for the next term. Basically, it was loyalty to Trump and whatever the hell he wants to do. Again, does that sound like democracy or totalitarianism to you> Agree or disagree with Mr. Biden, at least his party as the courage to state their intentions. But as I have said countless rimes - though no Trump supporter will acknowledge it - this is not about party politics. This is about putting our COUNTRY and our DEMOCRACY above the party. This is about not re-electing a man who has no regards for our constitution, the law, science, the people of this country, or anyone other than himself and his own interests. As I have said over and over again, if people believe that is the answer, then we may have already lost the democracy our forefathers - men like Washington, Lincoln, and Roosevelt - fought so hard to preserve.
For those who asked why Biden - just read Christie Todd Whitman's piece and you'll know why. It's ironic, to say the least, that a REPUBLICAN makes a wonderful case for why we need a DEMOCRAT as president.
Read this - then tell me Trump is the right man to lead our country. Incredible that a nation once led by men like Washington, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, etc could lower it its standards so far that we would accept a man like this in our highest office.
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/columns/reasons-why-donald-trump-is-unfit-to-be-president
By the way - if you don't like my opinions, don't come to this blog. But if you don't, then you can't get the music I post for all to download, regardless of your political beliefs. Ah what a dilemma - do you stand by your principles even if it means not getting something you want? Our current president has no principles so the choice would be easy for him - he'd call me a "sucker and loser" just like he did our troops, then download everything he could. Will you take more of a stand or just follow in his footsteps.
The same could be said about FOX or any other station. Or the president's habit of tweeting nonsensical conspiracy theories to his followers. But to attack the free press is not democratic. To brand everything you disagree with as FAKE NEWS is irresponsible. That's one of my biggest complaints about our current president - his attacks on the free press are one of the many efforts to erode the hallmarks of democracy. But I'm smart enough to know that all media has its biases, which is why my support for Joe Biden comes from 3 basic sources - 1) my personal observations of (and disgust with) the current president and his attacks on our democracy and his failure to protect the people he swore to serve;, 2) my heartfelt belief based on watching and listening to Joe Biden that he is a man of honesty and integrity who will restore the office the president to a place of honor and respect, who will fight for the rights of all Americans even if I don't agree with some of his polices, and the words of former life long Republicans, like Christe Todd Whitman and jeenifer Horn (read this - https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/10/16/republicans-should-have-stopped-trump-2016-ex-state-gop-chair-column/3665008001/). If those individuals, who I disagree with politically, cannot support Trump, that speaks volumes. That said, I do agree that term limits - including perhaps on Supreme Court justices - might help across the board.
I just hope that after we make it out of the dystopia we find ourselves in now, our government will revisit the safeguards we need to have in place. For instance, obviously no president should EVER be able to pardon themselves, PERIOD! If things like that haven’t been addressed, we need to learn from this experience and put laws or amendments in place to prevent them. Beyond that, what good are the laws we have in place now if they’re not enforced? For instance, only state election officials are allowed to have anything to do with the mechanics of voting, in person or by mail. Since republicans in California have illegally set up faux drop boxes to collect official ballots (to do what with?), these boxes should be collected up and those party officials involved should be arrested and charged with breaking election laws. Shouldn’t the same treatment apply to democrats if they did the same thing?
In closing, our conservative brethren would do well to consider that a trump-like entity could just as easily arise from the progressive side of the political spectrum. I’m not talking about what you probably see as the worst of the worst, Bernie, AOC, etc. I’m talking about a ‘leader’ who liberals would worship unconditionally, who breaks all accepted norms, disregards laws/regulations, i.e.’shakes things up’, accepts support from and encourages the activities of militarized extremists and refuses to commit to a peaceful transfer of power. Couldn’t happen? It sure could. It’s happening right now, and you guys seem to think it’s just fine. I’m confident if the tables were turned you’d be just as passionate in your objections as speedymjb has been here, at least I hope you would.
@rev b - a very thoughtful comment that is fair to both sides. Thank you. No party should break the law or trample on our democracy. I tend to lean Democrat in my politics but I have tremendous respect for men like the late John McCain, a Republican icon who was a fair, honest, thoughtful man. I may not agree with Mitt Romney's policies, but I give him great credit for following his conscience and being the only Republican to vote to convict the president. Great men and women can come from either party - as can evil ones. When the evil arises, it is our duty as citizens of this country first, before we are members or supporters of any party, to stand up for the greater good, and to do what is right, not what is easy or traditional. As such, I have gained a a new found respect for life long Republicans such as Christie Todd Whitman and Jennifer Horn, who have done just that. For Democracy to survive, country must supersede party when it comes to doing what is right and just for the American people. A slavish devotion to any organization, or worse to a single man (or woman) will be the death knell of our freedoms.
For Speedy and all other like minded American friends: Hope you really do succeed in 2020. You have to, so that we in India can follow in 2024. Charlatans selling fake dreams, peddling false narratives and controlling perceptions through social media is what democracy has been reduced to, unfortunately.
Speedy, thank you so much for speaking out. The future of our country and our planet is at risk and no one has the luxury to sit on the sidelines.
The fascists are fighting with every tool at their disposal to destroy a hundred years of progress and their willing tools refuse to see that they will be among the refuse. For the rank & file (and I do mean "rank"), it's all about 'pwning the libs,' which has replaced patriotism as their highest virtue.
And to otis t -- your racist anti-semitism is plain for all to see. Because he's Jewish and wealthy, Soros has become the favorite bugaboo of anti-semites all over the globe. Funny how you don't name drop Charles Koch, who's spending millions to remake America in his own depraved, selfish image. No, your intent is plain so a hearty Fuck You to you and all your fellow haters everywhere.
I agree with you speedy completely.I am not american so I don't vote.But for me America is THE MUSIC and the songs AND MARVELOUS PEOPLE who shared them with the world !Each Time I listen to "A change is gonna Come" or Paul Simon "America" my emotion is high.Peace mattfan
@Gummo- thanks very much. I did not realize that the comment about Soros was anti-semitic. As such, I have now removed it. Just as I removed all the other pro-Trump comments. Not because I won't allow conservative viewpoints - I will if they are rationale as was the comment by rev b - but because I will not allow my blog to be a conduit of hateful rhetoric. For democracy to stand, we must put its ideals ahead of party allegiance or loyalty to one man. if we don't, then we are doomed to become a totalitarian state. Democracy is destroyed from within, not from without. Never forget - Hitler and the Nazi's were elected to office - and once in power, warped a democracy into a dictatorship responsible for one of the greatest horrors in world history, the Holocaust. If we do not act to stop men like Trump, what will our fate be?
@mattfan - thanks for your support good friend. I pray each night that truth and justice will prevail over hate and lies.
The 3 or 4 of you who continue to show up here and call me names, call me ignorant, use foul language, etc - you realize that you just prove my point. I have explained my point of view calmly and rationally, citing numerous articles. I have explained that in 61 years on this planet and 11 writing this blog, I have never once told anyone how to vote, until now, only because this is such a unique and dangerous situation. I have even relied on conservative viewpoints from people I didn't even vote for or agree with policy wise. I have used historical examples of Nixon and Hitler to show the threat to democracy when men of no moral character, who only care about power - like Donald Trump - rise to power. I have posted a conservative response from rev b to show that other conservatives also fear the threat of Trump. And all you do is call me names and use foul language. It hardly surprises me because that's what the man you support does. Its so sad how low our standards have sunk as a society. And how reasonable discourse is impossible. The divisions in our country are huge, and the man is the Oval Office seeks to make them worse, to divide and conquer for one reason and one reason only - to stay in power. If those of you who support him think he cares about you, you are sorely mistaken. Read the words of those who have been around him - he cares only about himself. Our country allows you to vote for whoever you choose, but if you support him, you are complicit in choosing hate, racism, division, conspiracy theories, the loss of checks and balances, etc. above our democratic ideals. To qoute John Lennon - "How Do You Sleep?"
And by the way - to the person who said "he may be a vile human being but he's a great president" that's what the Germans said about Hitler in the beginning.
And finally, I'm done responding - I have wasted enough of my time and energy on people whose only response is hate. So you can comment all you want, but I'll just delete and move on. I have stated my case using facts, logic and precedent - I have no more time for people who deal in divisiveness, innuendo and conspiracy theories. To quote Jerry Garcia - "Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait"
Hello speedy thanks for your answer.More than "America" it's "American Tune" with the verses "The Statue Of Liberty sailing away to sea... we come on a ship they called mayflower,we come on a ship that sailed the moon" the Heart of America
Courage my friend
mattfan
Thanks for doing this, speedy, thanks for your courage. It's no surprise that you get some hate for it, because it's all they can do. There has to be a stand for humanity before it's too late. The control must be taken from the lunatics. It's impossible to overstate how crucial this time has become for the planet. But only Americans can vote - the world is holding it's breath and crossing it's fingers so, please get it right. Please.
@howlingwilf - thank you my dear friend. The level of hate and vile comments has been intense, but fortunately limited to just 3 or 4 insane people. We in the US have to get this right - its incredible to me that its even close. Just shows how low a country that once once a shining beacon to the world has sunk. The man in the Oval Office actually told people today not to vote for Biden because Joe will listen to the scientists. This is not some lunatic fringe candidate - this is the current president, the leader of one of the 2 largess parties on our country. I pray every night that sane American,s who believe in what i right, truthful and inclusive, will turn out in droves to vote for Biden and end this nightmare.
Thank you for taking a stand and thank you for continuing to maintain this incredible blog filled with so many treasures. All the best!
Thanks! What is incredible to me is that even have to take a stand. How the dishonesty, racism, denial of science, support of conspiracies, self interest, and efforts to erode democracy are not obvious , offensive and unacceptable to all is beyond my comprehension. I truly fear for the future of this country - may the next generation be far more enlightened.
For democracy to stand, we must put its ideals ahead of party allegiance or loyalty to one man. if we don't, then we are doomed to become a totalitarian state. Democracy is destroyed from within, not from without. Never forget - Hitler and the Nazi's were elected to office - and once in power, warped a democracy into a dictatorship responsible for one of the greatest horrors in world history, the Holocaust. If we do not act to stop men like Trump, what will our fate be?
Couldn't agree more, Speedy. Every day I see the tweets and the speeches and I say to myself, "These words are coming from the President of the United States of America?!!?" It has gone past disgraceful and is now dangerous. As you say, our future is at stake in so many ways. We must VOTE VOTE VOTE!
Thanks my friend. His rhetoric and that of those who disagree with this post gets more hateful and threatening by the day. The vile nature of the comments that disagree with this post are a complete reflection of the man in office. And the calls that in deleting them I suppress free speech are laughable - I'm a blogger not the media which has to present both sides. It's akin to saying Republican ads should include the Democratic side. If you don't like my opinion, go start your own blog with an opposite view point and exercise your free speech. In any event, the support for my post has been overwhelming, and for that I am thankful.
Congratulation America,
Derek from old Europe.
Derek - thank you. Some of my faith in the goodness of our country and its democracy has been restored today! And as a Dad, its much easier to remain my kids that honesty, integrity, compassion, empathy, caring - true character - really matters!
Post a Comment