Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 3, 2022

Bob Weir & Ratdog - 2001-06-03 - Santa Cruz, CA (SBD)

Bob Weir & Ratdog 
2001-06-03
Palookaville'
Santa Cruz, CA
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

1st Set:
01. Jam >
02. Shakedown Street >
03. Minglewood Blues
04. Loser
05. K.C. Moan
06. El Paso
07. Black Throated Wind
08. Odessa
09. Eyes Of The World

2nd Set:
01. Tuning
02. Estimated Prophet >
03. The Other One >
04. Samson And Delilah >
05. Bass > Drums > Jam >
06. Terrapin Station >
07. Two Djinn >
08. Corrina

Encore:
01. Uncle John's Band


When the Grateful Dead released their debut album and played Monterrey Pop in the summer of 1967, rhythm guitarist was just 19 years old, his 20th birthday still several months away. He was also musically the most inexperienced member of the Dead. As a result, at one point in late 1968, he and Pigpen were temporarily fired from the band for not being able to keep up with their improvisational jams. Even Weir admits that in the early days "I was barely able to hold down my position in the group. I was kind of in awe of these guys I was playing with - I really had almost no experience. I didn’t have all that great a vocabulary as a guitarist at that point. And my role…was a fairly difficult one. Being in-between the lead and the bass and intuiting where the hell they’re going to go and being there. It took a while to work up a touch for that. I’d get hot and find myself moving pretty fluently in that role, then I’d lose my momentum and fall out of it. It’s a real difficult position to stay on top of.” The band took both back pretty quickly, and for Weir, the event had quite an impact.  He underwent tremendous growth as a guitarist in the next few years, with Phil Lesh commenting in 1971 that "I found myself astonished, delighted and excited beyond measure at what Bobby was doing." Lesh described Weir's playing as "quirky, whimsical and goofy" and noted his ability to play on the guitar chord voicings (with only four fingers) that one would normally hear from a keyboard (with up to ten fingers). Weir's musical growth continued through the years, as he eventually fronted several bands outside of The Dead, including Bobby & The Midnites, The Campfire Band and Ratdog. This soundboard recording captures Weir with Ratdog on June 3, 2001, 21 years ago today.  NOTE - the original upload was missing lsat 2 tracks. New upload as of June 16 has all tracks!




4 comments:

Hugh said...

Thank you Speedy. I saw Ratdog in 2001 and other years.... Always a fun shows. Mark Karan was underrated with this band.

Hugh said...

MusicLover69 said...

Thanks for this, but believe the last two tracks are missing as end cuts off quickly with no Corrina or Uncle John's Band

speedymjb said...

Thanks for the heads up - corrected copy with missing tracks now uploaded!

Post a Comment